Low power Picaxes

tjetson

G'day all

I am trying to decide whether to use a 3.3 volt or 5 volt Axe for a project. I had a few questions about the differences:
  • Does the 3.3 volt require less current compared to the 5 volt if they are performing the same tasks?

• Can the 3.3 volt Axes still supply ~20 mA on a pin?

manuka

Which PICAXE ? The humble 08M runs a treat on 3.3V. & (as far as I recall) kicks out 20mA per pin .

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
There was some previous discussion on this and it appears that the X2-3V would give lower consumption figures and so will 5V PICAXE when run at lower voltages.

From the datasheets it appears that current sink and sourcing is comparable regardless of operating voltage though specific datasheets would need to be consulted for a full comparison. Full capabilities will also depend on PICAXE / PICmicro type.

womai

Core power consumption of any Picaxe depends strongly on the clock frequency. So if you don't need a lot of speed it is better to run at e.g. 4 MHz vs. 8 MHz. Even better, underclock them further (on pre-X1/X2 parts this needs peek/poke access to the SFR). The slower you run, the lower the power consumption.

Another technique is to put the Picaxe in sleep mode and only wake it up when it needs to do something.

Apart from that, don't forget that your total power consumption also depends on the load that you are driving. If you want to drive 20mA on a few output pins (total not to exceed ~100mA), then saving half a mA in core power supply current will not make any difference because the total power consumption is pretty much determined by the load current, not the core power.

Compared to all that the difference between 3.3V and 5V parts is probably negligible. I'd rather choose the voltage that works better with any peripheral chips you use (e.g. if they need 5V anyway, using a 3.3V Picaxe will only create unnecessary headache and need additional components - and possibly additional power - for level conversion).

Dippy

I agree with womai's comments - espec para 4.

Your main criteria should be whether it'll work conveniently with other devices in your project and whether your PC/Converter will be happy accepting 3V3 logic/serial.

You haven't specified which PICAXE; for detailed ELECTRICAL information you CANNOT do better than downloading the PIC data sheet from Microchip.
Yes, they are big (the DATA SHEETs) - but it's always best to go straight to the proverbial Horse's Mouth ;)

tjetson

Your main criteria should be whether it'll work conveniently with other devices in your project and whether your PC/Converter will be happy accepting 3V3 logic/serial.
That reminds me, will the 3 volt units still run with the 10k/22k interface? Or will I need to change the 22k's value?

manuka

All 17 (!) PICAXEs (& at any supply voltage) program with the same 10k/22k resistor combo.

Incidentally,"down under" users may not realise that our soaring $ has recently made the entire PICAXE range significantly cheaper. Check MicroZed's revised $Aust prices on the draft feature table below!

FWIW-I occasionally do one of these "at a glance" tables for students (this is #6), as many normally see just the "M" types & can be ignorant of the big brother firebreathers. Stan.

Attachments

Last edited:

tjetson

That's quite a good table there, thanks for sharing. I'd been wondering where I would find out the base PIC chip numbers to look at datasheets :)

Dippy

"big brother firebreathers" - you old Drama Queen Stan ;)

On a serious note, can you redo your tables as PDF so that any links you include work.
That could be useful in future when Data Sheets are linked to products.
People would appreciate that.... well, I would anyway :)

manuka

Dippy: Your every wish is my command. although no links are active.

I do stress that these summary tables are just quick hacks,being largely intended to show the breadth of the PICAXE field. Typically comments arising say " I'd no idea there were THAT many of them,& with such enhanced features-AND at very attractive prices". As mentioned previously on this forum, I've had no end of flack over the years from snobby colleagues who consider PICAXEs too cheap & easy to be serious devices. At a glance ammunition was needed! Yes- these are/were often the same guys who proudly flash a LED with low level code that took 3 weeks to write...

In such a draft form the latest table presently barely justifies .pdf conversion IMHO. Copyleft on anyone who wants to further hack/modify/enhance things. Stan

Attachments

Last edited:

Dippy

This was just 5 minutes for a quick over-write, but a prettified version of this maybe?

Your summary is helpful for newbies choosing "My First PICAXE".

Attachments

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
28X2/ 40X2 have four slots so 4 x 1000 lines

14M can also be configured in advanced mode so more configurable I/O than indicated.

It may be an idea to also add number of variables and scratchpad size, number of PWM and if HPWM, though it's a problem with all 'parametric tables' that they can grow ridiculously wide. One solution is perhaps a set of tables of related information; memory, hardware capabilities, operating voltages etc.

Things may be simplified if one drops the superseded chips entirely.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Also trademark attribution is not correct; "PICAXE® is a registered trademark licensed by Microchip Technology Inc".

Dippy

Should be able to get a good summary on landscape A4.

Hippy could knock that up during his coffee break... :)

tjetson

Almost immediately after I posted that comment, I remembered that earlier, I had in fact read the page concerning the PIC numbers. Don't know how I forgot that...