Looking for a copy of the PicAxe book

Edders

"Programming & Customizing the PICAXE Microcontroller"

Im new to Pic Programing and would like to find a copy of the following. Ive been unable to find a shop with it in stock, anybody know where I could get a copy I dont even mind a good second hand copy

Many thanks

Edders

westaust55

Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

The Rev Ed On-line store, TechSupplies, sells this book.
See: http://81.134.141.187/epages/Store.storefront/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store.TechSupplies/Categories/Books

look at the right side of the webpage

Notwithstanding the availability of the book that you mention, it is become outdated with many new PICAXE chips in recent months.
Apparently it also has a number of typo errors that cause confusion to some.

Have you downloaded and read the PICAXE manuals?
See the PICAXE Manuals link in the orange bar at the top of this page.

A search of this forum can also retrieve answers for many topics that may be covered in the PICAXE programming book.

Last edited:

Edders

Thanks for the Reply I have read the manuals, but Im just waiting for the Equipment to arrive so I can start playing.

I tried to order the book from the Store but It wouldnt let me I assume due to being out of stock

Edders

Andrew Cowan

For some initial circuit ideas and learning - not bad.

However, it doesn't list or involve any of the new chips - 14M, 18M, 20M, 20X2, 28X1, 28X2, 40X1, 40X2 etc.

If you can spare the money and want a bit of help, get it. However, the manual and forum are just as useful in my opinion.

A

womai

I got the book when it came out (my company pays for pretty much any book as long as it is sufficiently work related) - browsed it through once and since then it has been sitting on my shelf. It's not bad, but as others have pointed out, it contains little that couldn't be found in the manuals, on the web, or by using the forum.

nbw

I second, third, etc the above - the ref manuals in PDF format are the best option. They change regularly to include new chips and often include errata. These PDFs plus the forum - very handy combo - that's about as good as it gets! :)

manuka

There's something totally whacky with UK Amazon prices for David's book! Their quoted £141 for a new copy, & £50 used, is simply encouraging folks to scan the thing & host a pirated version.

Although a handy reference,this resource is indeed now a tad dated,with the non-hosted program listings particularly harking from an earlier era. David at one stage would email these if requested, but this apparently became too tedious for many. Web hosting of referenced programs has long been seen as a publishing essential of course,especially if tweaks evolve after the presses roll.

Hence Rev. Ed's free .pdf resources indeed get my thumbs up too. Their incisively indexed insights intrigue, (ah-alliteration!),code snippets abound (& are readily entered), and their associated "how to" schematics are delightful. Stan.

Last edited:

elios

if your desperate enough, email the author, david lincoln, at microzed australia. He has a few copies. He quoted me something around 55 AUD a book

Edders

Once again many thanks for the replies, I'll just stick with the manuals, google and the forum. which is nice(its the cheaper option)

thanks again

Edders