LED On while downloading

MearCat

I watched a YouTube video last night where someone was downloading a program and while the program was being downloaded, a LED was turned on and once the download was complete, it turned off.

How was this done? Is it as simple as certain pins go high when downloading?

westaust55

I would suggest that the LED was connected to the SerialOut pin with a suitable high resistance value to prevent overloading the SerialOut pin and preventing the “confirmation” data being received back at the PC which is used to check that the program is downloading correctly.

The PICAXE stops all program functions and all IO are reset as inputs so outputs go low/off during a program download.

You should provide a link to the video you found/saw so that others here can potentially look at the hardware and check what was done.

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
An LED and 330 is fine. It will actually 'flicker' as it is pulsing on and off at high frequency with the serial data, but is still a good indicator.

manuka

This is a handy & long standing feature,used by many with great success. A piezo can be be used instead,as it's "burbling" sound alerts to the program download.

BillyGreen1973

A piezo can be be used instead,as it's "burbling" sound alerts to the program download.
I'm sure many will remember the 'noise' of an old 8bit computer loading from tape, or the sound of an old serial modem connecting. I think it is quite reassuring when you hear the familiar sound, to know things are working OK.

It adds a very 'retro' feel to a modern Picaxe circuit :)