LCD Help?

BeanieBots

"Other specs not available" should be regarded as a red light.
Never buy something like that without a full spec.
Do a google to see if you can get a full spec. Without it, you won't know what to do with it and nor will we.

Andrew Cowan

You NEED a datasheet before you know if it can be used. Look for the driver it uses, and than a datasheet for that driver.

A

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
It may be HD44780 compatible, perhaps not. Most four line displays I have seen have two separate E1 amd E2 inputs but just the single E is feasible. That suggests to me it's not using Hitachi chipset and as it doesn't say what it does use who knows how it differs.

Dippy

I confess I've never used a 20x4, nor have I seen a pinout with E1 and E2.

The pinout of that Powertip (your link) has the same pin description as many other Powertip LCDs which I HAVE used and work fine (albeit from PIC and not PICAXE).

It is also the same pin description as 20x4 LCDs from Batron, Everbouquet and Varitronix.
Batron spcifically use Hitachi controllers.
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/61214.pdf
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/47112.pdf

Don't get too tied up with specifically Hitachi, there are many 'clones' of that good old driver eg Sunplus.
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/111851.pdf
Notice the main interface pin descriptions?

Having said all that I agree with the concensus about Data Sheet reading.

At a guess I would guess that it would behave like a 'Hitachi' controller, but that is a guess.
And it is cheap. And Powertip is a good make.

And I would add that Powertip would have to be pretty bleedin' stupid to bring out an LCD with identical pins to other makes (and their own modules), but needing significantly different controls.

Without a specific data sheet my only query would be whether it could work in 4-bit mode, simply for wiring convenience. I would bet £50 that it can.

But actually getting it working how you want it to is your job :)

As to whether its the same as the stuff off Ebay, I don't know ... I don't use Ebay.

PS. I'd like to add one thing for UK buyers after a recent experience.
Many UK suppliers bought their imported LCDs/GLCDs some time ago at a higher exchange rate. When supplier's stocks need replacing you will see a sudden and significant price increase due to the drooping pound. You may see a 20 - 30% price increase.
So, I'm not suggest that you should rush your purchase or 'panic buy'. But, if you are confident it is 99% OK then buy it now rather than in a month or two.

Last edited:

George Sephton

Thats good, so I could carry on using these new LCD screen with my 74HC164 (hippy's 2-wire lcd circuit).
Thanks for all your help. GLCDs apprently need a lot of work and are quite expensive so Ill use the alphanumeric ones and custom characters to make small graphic effects.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Electrically and pinout the LCD looks compatible with the two-wire interface, however some people have had problems with that so while it should work there's no guarantee of it and you may have to tweak the circuit. If it is HD77480 compaible there should not need to be any changes in initialisation software, but only the datasheet will state what the correct / prefered initialisation sequence is if it is different.