Laser tape measure

jmumby

Anyone have any ideas how these work? Is it picaxeable?

I relise the graphic on the image is a bit preposterous but I think you get the concept.

moxhamj

Could they be measuring the speed of light and the time it takes to do a round trip? Seems far fetched but maybe not. Light is roughly one foot per nanosecond, and certainly some integrated circuits can run that fast (1ns = 1Ghz).

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Probably is round-trip pulse timing.

From another forum, a clever trick for measuring very short pulses ( the period between pulse initiation and echo recieved ) easily and cheaply is to quickly charge up a cap during that time. You have then translated an incredibly short pulse into a very usable voltage. Assuming 1ns for 1 foot, a cap which charges to full over 1ns and a 10-bit ADC, you can measure that foot to near 0.001 foot accuracy, equivalent to 1000GHz.

I'm sure it's not as simple in practice, but the principle is simple enough.

Michael 2727

If the unit is a - Leica Disto A5 - 0.05mtrs to 200mtrs +/- 2mm, or similar.
Then yes it is a real LASER measuring device.
But at $600.00+ AUD I can live without one for the moment :)
( they also have a delux model at $1,400.00 )

Not Picaxeable unfortunately, they only just keep up with U/Sonic. ;)

boriz

How does the two piece unit work? How can the receiver measure the pulse-travel-time without knowing when the pulse was sent?

Only way I can think of ATM is that the first unit works just the same as a normal ‘reflection’ range finder, and the second is some sort of amplifier/repeater.