L6470 Stepper Motor Driver

phillavery

Hi

Has any one had any experience with the L6470 Stepper Motor driver which uses an SPI interface (Sparkfun have a breakout board for it)?

I have not used SPI at all, will be a whole new Picaxe adventure, the fact that the driver works autonomously after being told what to do my make up for a lack of speed on the picaxe.

I am particularly interested in the sensorless stall detection feature. This would seem to solve any issues with using a Stepper in an environment where it could be prone to stalling.

Any information/experience would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Phil

Details:
The L6470 device, realized in analog mixed signal technology, is an advanced fully integrated solution suitable for driving two-phase bipolar stepper motors with microstepping. It integrates a dual low RDS(on)DMOS full bridge with all of the power switches equipped with an accurate on-chip current sensing circuitry suitable for non-dissipative current control and overcurrent protection. Thanks to a unique control system, a true 1/128 steps resolution is achieved. The digital control core can generate user defined motion profiles with acceleration, deceleration, speed or target position, easily programmed through a dedicated registers set. All commands and data registers, including those used to set analogue values (i.e. current control value, current protection trip point, deadtime, PWM frequency, etc.) are sent through a standard 5-Mbit/s SPI. A very rich set of protections (thermal, low bus voltage, overcurrent, motor stall) allows the design of a fully protected application, as required by the most demanding motor control applications.
Key Features

• Operating voltage: 8 - 45 V
  • 7.0 A out peak current (3.0 A r.m.s. )
  • Low RDS(on) Power MOSFETs
  • Programmable speed profile and positioning
  • Programmable power MOS slew rate
  • Up to 1/128 microstepping
  • Sensorless stall detection
  • SPI interface
  • Low quiescent and standby currents
  • Programmable non-dissipative overcurrent protection on high and low-side
  • Two-levels of overtemperature protectioI

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Never used the L6470 but it looks to be compatible with PICAXE SPI commands, from HSPI down to bit-banging. There is quite a large command set to control things but it seems logical enough. Get one command working and the rest should follow.

I would start with bit-banging the interface then, once that's working, move to HSPI. One can start with HSPI but I find bit-banging removes any doubts about having chosen the right HSPI mode, and helps separate problems of commands from problems of HSPI use. Bit-bang the pins which would be used for HSPI and the hardware will be the same no matter which is used.

The only complication is that it returns status while sending commands. The PICAXE is not designed for simultaneous HSPI output and input but that can be achieved by using PEEKSFR on the HSPI receive register after each HSPI output.