key logger

computer

Hi,

How would I go about making a 08M log keys from a PS/2 keyboard and storing them for later data retrival?

Is there any suitable easy-to-use extended memory for the PICAXE too? So I can store a lot of key presses?

Thanks

manuka

Mmm- key stroke loggers may = mischief! Suggest you consider an 18A/X, as 08Ms don't have this keyboard feature inbuilt. See perhaps a Dec '03 "Silicon Chip" PS/2 k'bd to serial program => www.picaxe.orcon.net.nz/keyb18xa.jpg & =>www.picaxe.orcon.net.nz/keyb18xa.bas

Stan

Edited by - Stan. Swan on 5/7/2005 9:58:30 PM

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
While some PICAXE's can be connected to PS/2 keyboards, it is unlikely that they could parasitically connect in parallel with a keyboard to PC cable; there would be problems with both the PC and PICAXE trying to drive the keyboard clock, which could damage the PICAXE, and more expensively, the PC motherboard itself.

Because of the high speed nature of the PS/2 keyboard interface, it is not possible to put a PICAXE between a keyboard and the PC and do it that way.

The easiest way to store large numbers of keystrokes would be to use I2C EEPROM; the X range of PICAXE's support I2C interfacing.

If you were considering 'snooping', bear in mind the legal aspects of this. In the UK, the Computer Misuse Act 1990 makes it an offense carrying up to six months imprisonment for attempting to obtain account or password details, and up to a five year term if done with the intent to use that information.

Under CMA 1990 c18 1(1)a, it is an offense to even try to guess a password, even if it is guessed wrong or there's no intent to use it.

Most of the 'jolly japes' I was involved in while studying Computer Science ( when <i>hacking </i> was educational learning ) would now be seerely punishable. By today's standards, I should be serving a sentance longer than most serial killers :-o

bgrabowski

Thank you Hippy for clarifying the legal aspect of this. I get requests to do this for coursework on an annual basis from GCSE/A level students. Nobody has yet managed to give me a legitimate use for keystroke logging so I have never allowed them to proceed. They all seem to know the illegal use though!

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
There are legitimate uses for key loggers but really only for law enforcement and breach of security detection. In such cases though the intent is to prevent wrongdoing rather than facilitate it.

andrewpro

as an FYI- In a PS/2 setup, acording to the protocol, it is the device thaqt generates the clock, not the client (receiving device). So that wouldn't pose a problem. In a ps2 keyboard, the keyboard generates the clock, and clocks the PC.

As for legitimate uses for keylogging...I've seen them in high security type businesses and government agencies. When I was in the Marines all computers int he offices had them. I'm sure it's the same way in the NSA, CIA, Mi5/6, etc. In the general private secotr though, I really cant think of anyhting. I sat here and thought about it too after reading this...but I'm drawing a blank. There are plenty of other ways to figger out what someone is doing if you have the privilages and access to do so.

As for students using them..I agree..mischief!!! =)

--Andy P

G

Thanks for the clarification on the keyboard clock direction; I had got it wrong in that respect.

The clock comes from the keyboard, but can be held low by the PC to stop transmission, and the data line is bi-directional. That prevents KEYIN being used, but if the PICAXE had the speed it could read both signal lines.