Is this Microchip a legit Picaxe?

fernando_g

Organizing my parts drawer, I found in the Picaxe bin a 14 pin Microchip SMT device, a 16F1825
Looking at the Picaxe Manual 1, I cannot see any device that matches.
I know that the 14M2 chip is labeled as such. But somewhere else I read that some 14M2 could be labeled with the original Microchip label.
Would this be the case or do I only have a base PIC?

fernando_g

I found another Microchip 18 pin SMT device, the PIC16F1847. Same situation, would this be a legitimate 18M PICAXE?
Since these are SMT devices, there is no simple way to breadboard something to run the editor for identification.

bpowell

As far as I know; RevEd never had the SMT chips custom engraved from Microchip ... only the DIPs. So SMT chips will have the actual microchip part number on 'em. On top of that, during the parts shortage, RevEd did sell some PICAXE chips in DIP format that didn't have custom etching (But had the actual microchip part number).

I *just* went through an exercise of labeling all my prototyping boards ... and probably 5 or 10 times, I had to hook up a board, see if the PICAXE programmer would recognize it ... then see if my TinyMultiBootloader program would recognize it ... it was the only way to tell if I had a 18F24K22 on my hands, or a PICAXE 20x2! Got 'em all figured out though!

fernando_g

Thanks!! This is the information I needed.
(y)
I had already browsed thru the Rev-ed website, but apparently my search skills are subpar as I couldn’t find the information.

Flenser

The page "PICAXE Chip Labels" that bpowell gave you a link to in post #4 is a list of the current M2 & X2 chips.
In the left-hand side of that page there is a tab for Superceeded Parts
where you can confirm that the two Microchip parts you have listed were not used for any of the older PICAXE chips.