? is there any plotting s/w for a PIC besides StampPlot ?

bob weir

StampPlot is ok in a limited way. big faults are : BS-2 lacks ADC input pins ,
and the BS-2 language uses commands for which there is no equlvalent in PIC basic.

westaust55

StampPlot is ok in a limited way. big faults are : BS-2 lacks ADC input pins ,
and the BS-2 language uses commands for which there is no equlvalent in PIC basic.
Are you using straight PIC chips or the PICAXE chip which incorporates the rev Ed firmware?

PICBASIC and PICAXE BASIC are two different software programs.

Have not used any of these myself however as BB suggests have you looked at selmaware who have Stampplot lite, Stampplot Pro and SelmaDAQ
see:http://www.selmaware.com/

It can be a case of defining exactly what you want to do, how amny channels required and how much you are willing to spend.

No idea on interface capabilities with PICAXE chips but,
there is also LabVIEW at http://www.ni.com/labview/
Maybe also Matlab and Simulink or

WinDaq at http://www.dataq.com/products/software/acquisition.htm
plus use WinDaq/XL is a software add-on to WinDaq/Lite, /Pro and /Pro+ that allows data acquired by these packages to be ported to a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet in real time and on a continuous basis.

MFB

StampPlot, StampPlot Pro and SelmaDaq are not Stamp specific and there are many examples on this forum of how to drive them from a PICAXE.

papaof2

There's also the free version of Windmill 4.3, which can log and display data from RS232 devices.

Their description:

Windmill is a suite of engineering software for data acquisition and control. It collects data from instruments and devices connected to a personal computer running Windows 3.1, 95, 98, NT and 2000. The standard suite comprises:

Data logging with the Windmill Logger program,

Trend charting with the Windmill Chart program,

Data display and DDE server with the Windmill DDE Panel program

Hardware and Software setup with the ConfIML and SetupIML programs

Two drivers - a software signal generator and LabIML, a generic serial instrument interface. (LabIML lets you interface any ASCII instrument with an RS232 port - balances, pH metres, GPS, sonar, BASIC stamps, etc.)

http://www.windmillsoft.com/acatalog/A000_0.html

It's free if you sign up for their monthly newsletter - and you might learn something about data acquisition and/or Excel from the newsletter ;-)

John

LizzieB

Is Windmill 4.3 still available? I tried to sign up for the (prerequisite) news letter and got a "page not found".

InvaderZim

I've used SelmaDAQ before on an old machine. My most recent experience:

1) SelmaDAQ is obsolete, and is replaced by PLXDAQ; I can no longer find SelmaDAQ.
2) I haven't gotten PLXDAQ to work on my machine, possibly because I don't have something else Stamp specific that is needed. I keep getting VB script errors whenever it tries to run Stamp.xxxxxx (eg Stamp.Disconnect).

I liked SelmaDAQ a LOT.

I'll keep trying to find something similar; I'll have to look into WinDAQ perhaps.

papaof2

Is Windmill 4.3 still available? I tried to sign up for the (prerequisite) news letter and got a "page not found".
The sign-up page here: [url[http://www.windmill.co.uk/newsletter.html[/url] is still working. In the last 10 minutes, I added a new email address to their mailing list. They sent a confirmation email. I clicked on the link in the confirmation email and they sent the link to the download page. I just finished downloading the zip file of Windmill 4.3.

John

John West

The sign-up page here: [url[http://www.windmill.co.uk/newsletter.html[/url] is still working. In the last 10 minutes, I added a new email address to their mailing list. They sent a confirmation email. I clicked on the link in the confirmation email and they sent the link to the download page. I just finished downloading the zip file of Windmill 4.3.

John
I just signed up at their site - but I'll be darned if I can find the page to go to to download my copy of Windmill. That site is a maze.

John West

Thanks. I missed the correct link in the email confirmation (I think it had 3 or 4 others,) then went back to the site and expected to be able to download the pgm. Duh.

I note that they indicate the program will run on all versions of Windows if the directory is properly located.

A new place to send my PICAXE data. Very good. I'm very pleased that its data can all be gathered, processed and dealt with inside the PC with all its processor power and graphics capabilities. Amazing versatility.

LizzieB

John
Thanks for the followup, that link works for me.

MFB

I think the confusion may arise from the following statement on the SelmaDAQ site “ We are no longer supporting a unique build”. Not sure what this means but PLX-DAQ appeared first on the Parallax site and then the same application was made available to download as SelmaDAQ from the SelmaWare site some months later.

If you have any problems I suggest you contact SelmaWare, who I have always found to be very helpful.

InvaderZim

I think the confusion may arise from the following statement on the SelmaDAQ site “ We are no longer supporting a unique build”. Not sure what this means but PLX-DAQ appeared first on the Parallax site and then the same application was made available to download as SelmaDAQ from the SelmaWare site some months later.

If you have any problems I suggest you contact SelmaWare, who I have always found to be very helpful.
I think it means that SelmaDAQ and PLX-DAQ were both offshoots of the same version of program; they're cousins, mostly the same but with a few little features to make them unique. They both developed, but it became apparent that there was a lot of work being done twice to support both versions. Eventually they picked PLX-DAQ to be the "official" version and gave up working on Selma.

When I said I couldn't find SelmaDAQ, I meant the original installer for the SelmaDAQ version. Currently the page directs traffic to PLX-DAQ. Which is fine, except I haven't gotten it to work on my WinXP. I hit up the forum and they suggested getting the Stamp serial drivers, but that didn't change anything. I stopped pursuing for a while, but am starting to get the itch to have a real-time log to Excel again, which just looks cool and is useful too.

MFB

It would be well worth contacting Martin Hebel who developed StampDAQ/SelemaDAQ. He has been very helpful about PICAXE related issues in the past.

InvaderZim

SORTED!

What do you know, I sorted it. There is an activeX control (selmaDAQ_Ver2.ocx) that is in the c:\windows\system32 directory. However my registry was set to d:\windows\system32. My computer has done things like that before, confusing d with c, and some programs don't install right. I could have changed all registry references, but it was easier to just create system32 on my D and copy that file over.

I didn't clue in earlier since the Stamp terminal window worked fine, but looking back that's an unrelated function.

It looks like I'm back up and running now! Woohoo!

kranenborg

PLX-DAQ is indeed simple and effective. Since you can both read and write cells (and control the controller) it is in principle possible to build an MS-Excel based GUI, with the picaxe system delivering all data and annotations, while Excel takes care of all fancy graphs and the like. Only do not expect extraordinary update rates.

/Jurjen