Is there a way to include the " character in a! string constant?

Flenser

Is there a way that the " character can be included in a string constant?
e.g. to send the string "Hello World!" including the double quotes.

In other languages there is a escape character that can be included in a string constant.
If the escape character was a backslash then the " character could be included in the string constant this way "\"Hello World!\""

Is there an equivalent escape character for picaxe string constants?

Aries

To include a special character (such as double-quote) in a Picaxe character string, use its ASCII value directly (double-quote is 34)

So:
Code:
sertxd(34,"Hello World",34)
will print
"Hello World"

inglewoodpete

To include a special character (such as double-quote) in a Picaxe character string, use its ASCII value directly (double-quote is 34)

So:
Code:
sertxd(34,"Hello World",34)
will print
"Hello World"
Alternatively, it can be stored in EEPROM and read back when required:
Rich (BB code):
EEPROM 0, (34, "Hello World", 34)

Flenser

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

The manual doesn't mention anything so I didn't think that there was any such escape character but I asked the question anyway in case there was some feature I wasn't aware of.

AllyCat

Hi,

The backslash (\) does appear to be a "partial" Escape character but not in a completely predictable manner. For example sertxd("\"Hello\"") works in the PE6 simulator and is accepted by {Win}Axepad (no simulator) but throws a syntax error in PE5. In PE5: sertxd("\"Hello\\") is accepted and prints something, but not what you want it to do - go figure. :(

Generally, it's much easier to just use the ASCII values from the Table under the Wizards or Help tabs.

Cheers, Alan.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Using backslash escapes is one way, but I prefer SYMBOL defining the character -

Symbol DOUBLE_QUOTE = $22
SerTxd( DOUBLE_QUOTE, "Hello World!", DOUBLE_QUOTE)

You can of course name it however you want.

inglewoodpete

Using backslash escapes is one way, but I prefer SYMBOL defining the character -

Symbol DOUBLE_QUOTE = $22
SerTxd( DOUBLE_QUOTE, "Hello World!", DOUBLE_QUOTE)

You can of course name it however you want.
Similarly, I use D_Qot and S_Qot in PICAXE and MPLAB PIC C Programs