Is Spark Fun the only source (USA) for the Picaxe chips?

Shack

It seems that World Education (and their other name) was sort of run out of business when the market got diluted by Rev-Ed and now they are impossible to contact. They always had good service, fair pricing and shipping.

Spark Fun has everything marked up +10% above retail so they can offer a 10% off if you buy 10 of an item ... crazy.

I don't think Anderson is really in business ... are there any other options in the USA?

papaof2

Rev-Ed didn't dilute the market - they are the *source* of the PICAXE chips.

What link are you using for World Education? They discontinued one of their original email addresses because of spam. Have you tried the links (email and phone) on this page? http://world-educational-services.net/cart/index.php?main_page=contact_us

How any distributor sets prices is up to them and their business model. The customer lounge in the service area is usually nicer at the Mercedes dealer than at the Ford dealer - same concept applies to parts vendors. How much are the extras worth to you?

You might investigate the prices and shipping costs from HVWTech in Canada http://www.hvwtech.com/products_list.asp?CatID=90&SubCatID=249&SubSubCatID=250

John

womai

I don't think World Educational Services (now called Advanced Micro Circuits) went out of business. At least they were quite alive about 3 months ago when I ordered some Picaxes from them. Although they tend not to answer emails - maybe that's why you concluded they are gone? I never had problems with getting what I ordered though, and their prices are indeed quite a bit lower than Sparkfun.

Wolfgang

I don't think World Educational Services (now called Advanced Micro Circuits) went out of business. At least they were quite alive about 3 months ago when I ordered some Picaxes from them. Although they tend not to answer emails - maybe that's why you concluded they are gone? I never had problems with getting what I ordered though, and their prices are indeed quite a bit lower than Sparkfun.

Wolfgang
They ARE OPEN for bussines. I just received 4 Picaxes from them. And they have a neat new product using a 28X1.
Look at
http://world-educational-services.net/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_99&products_id=384

gengis

Too bad Anderson stopped selling the 'axe. "World Education" charges too much for shipping if you only need one or two of anything. They seem to have stopped stocking the 08M and use the 14M instead. Anderson charged $1.90 for shipping and less for the chips W.E. wants $8.50 minimum to ship.

Arduino is starting to look better.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Arduino is starting to look better.

Ok, I'll bite ... how much does the Arduino cost to buy in the US ?

The cheapest price I could see for a Mini Arduino was $38 with P&P on top but I didn't look extensively; available at ~£20 in the UK matches with that pricing.

The raw price for 14M from WEA at $3.85 doesn't seem that unreasonable and is close to UK price given current exchange rates. $8.50 shipping, equivalent to $1.50 above what Rev-Ed charge to ship within UK. Not that much of a mark-up. A 28X1 is $10.

Sparkfun sell 14M at $3.95, just 10c more than WEA, a 28X1 is $11.95, a bit more expensive.

At current exchange rates, 14M should be $3.27, 28X1 $8.35, and if you buy from the UK to US you can get them at that price, but shipping is likely to be higher. That works the same both ways ( all ways in fact ), and I despair at US companies which will only ship Fed-Ex at ~$100 for a $3 chip.

I'm not convinced that a ~$40 Arduino is a better buy than a marked-up PICAXE after importation but I could be wrong.

Shack

Well the real problem started when Rev-Ed let SparkFun sell the Picaxe. Andy at WES did a great job with stock but it is a very small market. With Spark Fun "authorized" it was seriously diluted and actually not much worthwhile for anyone. SparkFun has a history of using retail plus 10-15% and they have no value added service at all. Some think this is OK but I won't buy from them unless I have no choice.

Phil Anderson found that it was not worth while to handle the Picaxe.

WES has always charged a flat rate of $5 shipping for me.

5 chips from Spark Fun costs $59.75 + $6.80 shipping = $66.75.

5 chips from WES cost $50 = $5 shipping = $55

Mycroft2152

Hippy,

You can buy an Arduino at HVW for $26. HVW is also a PICAXe dealer.

http://www.hvwtech.com/products_list.asp?CatID=90&SubCatID=288

There are also Arduino clones ($12 US to $$20 US) --Freeduino, Boarduino and iDuino at various suippliers:

Boarduino -- http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=19

Freeduno -- http://wulfden.org/freeduino/freeduino.shtml

Iduino -- http://store.fundamentallogic.com/ecom/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=10

The iduino include the USB interface built on the pcb.

For the record, you can buy the Duino 28 pin chip for about $7. The pcb is not necesary.

All are priced comparably with the PICAXE 28x1

Myc

Last edited:

gengis

Ok, I'll bite ... how much does the Arduino cost to buy in the US ?
US price is $13/+$2 shipping for least expensive kit of all parts minus the USB adapter, That contains all the board, headers, voltage regulator, resonator, caps, etc.. Next size up is $15.

World Education wants $3.75 for the cheapest 'axe, plus $5 handling on orders under $30 and $8.50 for shipping.

Ebay is about the cheapest way to get an axe these days in the US. $3.75 and $2 shipping for the 08M

premelec

phanderson.com still lists 3 08Ms for $10 however he's on vacation for a while - I've had very good service from Prof Anderson and like the 118 LCD driver as well... whatever works for you!

Shack

I just talked to Andy today. Seems he is alive and well but has been out of the country which is why I could not get in touch with him. I placed my order and he said it will ship today.

The new USB board he has sure looks nice and I ordered one of those also.

Andy_Micro

Advanced Micro Circuits is still in business, indeed!

It is interesting how some people use a crystal ball to predict the
future. If you read the threads/posts at picaxeforum.co.uk, you will
come up to news such as "we do not sell the 08M anymore and have
switched to the 14M". This statement can only exist in a crystal
ball, since we have not made any such statement. Sparkfun recently
ran out of 08M stock. Will they not sell the 08M anymore? Heck no!
Neither will we! We just shipped 40 of them yesterday. Just like
other suppliers, we run out of stock periodically, and our system
does not show an item for a little while, so that you do not order it
and have us hold your money while the product is on its way from the
U.K.

Yes, periodically, we answer emails with a bit of delay, and, yes, we
answer our calls with a bit of delay. The reason is that, sometimes WE
ARE BUSY shipping stuff or doing something else. We apologize for not
returning calls or emails the minute we get them. We get a lot of
them. I periodically send an email to Clive Seager with questions. It
takes an average of 3-4 days for our emails to be answered by Clive, that is,
if Clive decides to answer them. Does that mean that PICAXE of UK is
out of business? The man is simply BUSY. So, please, quit picking on
us. We are human and we try to offer you as good a service as
possible.

Yes, we offer lower prices than any of the other distributors. We
also are honest. PICAXE of UK sells the starter packs with the
download cable included. So do we. One of our competitors not sells
their PICAXE stuff at a higher price, they want you to pay extra for
the download cable!

So, folks, we will try to serve you as best as we can. Please, stop
looking at crystal balls. If we decide to go out of business, we will
certainly let you know. You deserve to know.

Best regards ;)

Dr.Andrew Veronis
President
Advanced Micro Circuits.

Andy_Micro

We are not out of business.

It seems that World Education (and their other name) was sort of run out of business when the market got diluted by Rev-Ed and now they are impossible to contact. They always had good service, fair pricing and shipping.

Spark Fun has everything marked up +10% above retail so they can offer a 10% off if you buy 10 of an item ... crazy.

I don't think Anderson is really in business ... are there any other options in the USA?
We are called Advanced Micro Circuits and are listed in the distributors list of www.picaxe.com before the SparkFun name. The reason we changed our previous name is that another company which validates foreign university transcripts had the same exactly name. We were literally bombarded by phone calls. We still offer good service and good pricing.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
It is interesting how some people use a crystal ball to predict the
future. If you read the threads/posts at picaxeforum.co.uk, you will come up to news such as "we do not sell the 08M anymore and have switched to the 14M". This statement can only exist in a crystal ball, since we have not made any such statement ... Just like other suppliers, we run out of stock periodically, and our system does not show an item for a little while, so that you do not order it
I suppose that's a situation where people are left second-guessing and having to reach for a crystal ball to determine if the apparent lack of a product means it isn't sold or is sold but there's currently no stock. Most other companies would show the item, indicate it's out of stock, not allow orders for such items and avoid any ambiguity.

Anyway, I'm sure people will be glad to hear AMC are alive and kicking.

Texy

Agreed Hippy.

Yes, periodically, we answer emails with a bit of delay, and, yes, we
answer our calls with a bit of delay. The reason is that, sometimes WE
ARE BUSY shipping stuff or doing something else. We apologize for not
returning calls or emails the minute we get them. We get a lot of
them.
Sounds like you need to expand - think of all the business you're missing!

Regards,
Texy

AMC_micros

Thanks for the good advice

Texy

It is a good advice. We had a young lady in shipping who was a total disaster. We are looking for someone, but it is hard to find since we are offering almost starvation wages.

Andy