Is it possible to create a data stream 8 bytes long every 100mS, bytes are 10mS....

Changster

Hi all,
is it possible to create with a 08M2 a data stream that is a 8 byte message once every 100mS (ten times a second).
The 8 byte message consist of 7 data bytes, followed by 1 check byte. Bytes are transmitted 10mS apart, with a 30mS gap between message repeat.
Is this possible within the Picaxe?
regards mark

g6ejd

If you want to TX 10 times-sec then that's a byte budget of 100mS - the 10mS inter-byte gap = 90mS per-byte.

Your total number of bits is 10 (1+7+1+1), assuming an asynchronous transmission, so your buad rate is 90mS/10 bits = 0.9mS / bit or 111 baud.

You could run the serial out routine (not the in-built Picaxe routine, so you'd need to code it yourself) to run at 7812 baud, giving you plenty of time left in your inter-byte budget.

Buzby

That's a bit of a strange BAUD rate, but hersout will generate it easily.

Does the PICAXE need to be doing anything else other than just generating a stream of bytes ?

Buzby

Hi Nick,

That's exactly what I used to ensure 7812 was possible.

Your calculator is a tool I use all the time, so I'd like to give a big thanks to you for developing it.

Cheers,

Buzby

Changster

Cheers for all the replies..

i'll get coding to replicate the ECU signal of a Suzuki GSXR motorcycle so i can change the temp gauge and remove the 'chec' from the display in the speedo unit.

regards mark

Paix

A performance motorcycle too, so more than capable of glitching at speed. Was it a decade or two ago when a Kawasaki super bike used to suffer with carb icing under certain conditions, engine stutters, back wheel locks momentarily and it all ends in tears as traction is lost at speed. It was all new ground then, just like aquaplaning is common knowledge to all today, but began to be recognised 40+ years ago with aircraft during landing.