IR proximity sensor

jinx

hi,
Am trying to work how i can make an IR bumper sensor i got a basic setup on a breadboard which +5v -resistor(270ohm)-ir led(3mm)- gnd,
resistor( 10k ) -link to picaxe- Infra red photo transistor 3mm - gnd, AM having a real mental block how too program the PICAXE to do this hope am making sense can anyone help with the program.
jinx

jinx

thanks boris IR proximity sensor is what i mean,many many moons ago I did use the setup discribed above using the "pulsin count" worked ok but i totally forgot now and made no note "stupid me".

jinx

gone and added the sensor boriz suggested the setup is infar-red sensor recieving on an 08m2 and the transmitter is a 18m2 all working . Now is it possible for the 08m2 to both transmit and recieve.

inglewoodpete

thanks boris IR proximity sensor is what i mean,many many moons ago I did use the setup discribed above using the "pulsin count" worked ok but i totally forgot now and made no note "stupid me".
I'm having trouble getting my head around this one. Your reference to "bumper" makes me think this is car-related and your are trying to measure short distances. Is this correct?

Do you mean ultrasonic proximity sensor? IR works at 300,000 kilometres/second (the speed of light), so a PICAXE could not measure the differences. Unless you're going to use a break-beam method of yes/no presence of an echo or obstruction.

Can you clarify for me (and perhaps others)?

SteveT

http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/boebot/List/0/SortField/4/catpageindex/2/ProductID/138/Default.aspx

On the right hand side of page just under 'Add To Cart' is 'Downloads & Resources'. Download (free) the 'Robotics with the Boe-Bot text'. Great section in there about navigation and distance detection with IR.

Before you ask - yes - I was one of the mugs who started off with the very, very expensive basic stamp. I had just had delivered a (unopened as yet) BS2-px which cost about 70 quid when I discovered the brilliant and very cheap Picaxe range. This was a couple of years ago. Never looked back. I love my Picaxe(s).
Steve

jinx

hi,
NOTE to moderartors i,ve attempted to edit the title to this thread as it is misleading would you be able to change the title too " IR proximity sensor ".

thanks for the links eclectic , haku method on an 18x looks interesting gonna experiment today using an 18m2
iwp and boriz my apology for the title,

steveT thanks for the link will read over today .

I've been experimenting using the 18 and 08m2 and am not sure if IR proximity sensor's is what am after it worked at the distance i wanted 1 to 3 CM. but the fact there were no reflectance back of "any shade of black". and when i started looking around the house there was dark to black everywhere :rolleyes: so am thinking IR sensors may not be the best sensor to start putting around the base off my robots.

Last edited:

jinx

IR works at 300,000 kilometres/second (the speed of light), so a PICAXE could not measure the differences.
:confused:yea I worked that out! when asking the axe to send then recieve the signal.

@bill.b
thanks for the link, I've consided using pre built sensor, I was thinking using IR proxy to replace the bumber switch in future bot designs and without panning would need at least two either side "which would murder my cheap budget".

Am experimenting with two 08m2 One that transmitts on pin c.1 and c.2 (lft&right) and the other connected to the IR sensor receiving the signals, the programs is really basic "less than basic " four line's on each lifted from the manual 2.

quick pic

Attachments

Last edited:

boriz

An appropriate sensor depends entirely on your environment. A micromouse for example would be a perfect platform for a simple IR LED and phototransistor such as you describe in your original post. Modulated IR using the Picaxe IR commands and the demodulator sensor I indicated in post #2 would be the next step up for a more variable environment. The Sharp sensor would be the next step up and so on. Each step getting more expensive.

It's a trade-off.

Have you considered ultrasonic sensors? EG: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultrasonic-Distance-Detector-Sensor-Module-Transducer-K-/320868482958?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item4ab5407f8e

They struggle with very short ranges though.

Calveley

If you don't mind a bit of plagiarising have a look at the robot, Mr General. Google "Robot Mr General" They use IR proximity sensors and some very elegant software with a Picaxe 28X1.
Calveley