Introductions First.

I am fairly new to coding and, until now, have not had much to add to the forum. I have read many posts, tried to copy / emulate a few projects from this forum with varying levels of sucsess and, I've been reading up on coding with Picaxe for a while but, this is more for interest / hobby than anything else. I don't work with code. So, you may find my initial ideas / projects a little simple at first but I hope to build on these in time, possibly with some help from others on this forum.

I came to the Picaxe store and in turn to the forum whilst using the Snap Circuits® Picaxe Module 6SCU21, requiring a way to programme the M/C. I can see there are a few posts that mention Snap Circuits® but not much else. My first project idea was to find a way to programme the Picaxe without the need for soldering or, to have to swap the chip from Picaxe Starter kit to SC module, but before I do that I do believe it is polite to introduce myself so here I am.

Hope to put up my first project idea shortly.

piclt

I dont use Snap circuits, but use the breadboard adaptor for programming. Plug Picaxe into breadboard and use jumper leads for any Picaxe you want and any configuration. For minimal prog code use Blockley and the Simulator. You can see all on the Picaxe shop and download the editor.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
So, you may find my initial ideas / projects a little simple at first but I hope to build on these in time, possibly with some help from others on this forum.
We all have to start from the ground up and 'start simple' is the best advice I have. I always favour 'flash a led', 'turn it on when a button is pushed', then build up to a traffic light. That brings in most of the fundamentals which will serve well in more advanced projects.
I can see there are a few posts that mention Snap Circuits® but not much else.
Most people on the forum will be using PICAXE project boards rather than Snap but it's all the same, just a different connection regime. If you have some spare links you can cut those down, solder on flying leads, and connect those to breadboards, strip board, and whatnot, if you do find Snap too limiting for what you wish to do.

manuka

Gasp -yesteryear! About 16 years ago (& pre Elenco's approach) I rustled up a 08M based "Snapped PICAXE" article & Instructable to support educational STEM work. The gutted Snap sound module/08M based design pleasingly proved versatile enough to suit both micro motivated youngsters & curious seniors.

I'd mass produced quite a swag of these "Picaxed" Snap modules & may still have some available. Most of my educational PICAXE work however was breadboard or Kiwi Board based.

In any case this all dates from several decades back & -ah- pre more recent micros. I'm also now well retired (and following other interests) so best Harlequin_Hunter (the original poster) first check => https://www.instructables.com/Snap-PICAXE-/

Stan. ("Manuka") - in summery New Zealand

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies / advice. I've looked at the Instructables website and you seem to have goten the kids interested and, the cat. Interesting too, to see how far you've taken the basic kit with the PICAXE.

manuka

Yes -I indeed ran with the "Snap" concept & (as well as IR) also looked at rustling up modules for inbuilt DS18B20 temperature reading or 2 way 433 MHz wireless data. Elenco & I were in touch at one stage too. This was ~2007 & pre the likes of BT & smartphones etc. Where do you live ? I could maybe send you a "PICAXEd" Snap module! Stan. (ZL2APS since 1967)

Attachments

That's very kind of you Stan but, I'm in UK so, that would probably be quite expensive to post. Also, I do have a couple of different boards for PICAXE chips to play with, not tied to using one chip for many project ideas. Time / experience is what I'm in need of at the moment. Thank you very much for the offer.

manuka

Coals to Newcastle (!) as when an early 1960s teen I used to import (by seamail...) UK sourced e-items. I'll check p&p & let you know. Stan. in NZ

Last edited: