Internal Resonator Question

giuseppe

On the first manual, page 18, it says that the X2 parts default to 8MHz speed. Can I still technically run it at 4MHz if I really wanted it to with the setfreq m4 command? Or I cannot go lower than 8MHz operation?

Last edited:

inglewoodpete

As Nick says, you can run your PICAXE at any speed that it is capable of (refer to the Command Manual).

However, if you are using the X1 or X2 models and want to use their background serial receive (hSerial) or i2c Slave modes, you need to run them at their default speed or faster. The processor has a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff to do when receiving serial in the background or handling incoming i2c data.

Last edited:

westaust55

You mention the "first manual".

The SETFREQ command (as are all PICAXE BASIC commands) are covered in PICAXE manual {part} 2 (version 7.8) page 221.
This is the same command as nick12ab has referred you to with the online version of the command manual.

nick12ab

Counternitpick

You mention the "first manual".

The SETFREQ command (as are all PICAXE BASIC commands) are covered in PICAXE manual {part} 2 (version 7.8) page 221.
This is the same command as nick12ab has referred you to with the online version of the command manual.
He mentions the "first manual, page 18" which specifies "All parts default to operation at 4MHz (8MHz for X2 parts)." so it is PICAXE Manual 1 and not PICAXE Manual 2.

westaust55

He mentions the "first manual, page 18" which specifies "All parts default to operation at 4MHz (8MHz for X2 parts)." so it is PICAXE Manual 1 and not PICAXE Manual 2.
yes, fully aware of that nick. I consider your post title relevant to yourself - nickpicking again ! ;)
Was flagging that the full details for SETFREQ are in manual 2. rather than the general statement in manual 1 ;)

Last edited: