interfacing with EMIC text-to-speech module

seaplusplus

hi i have an EMIC text-to-speech module (item number 30006) and it only accepts programming written in hex, which is fine, the thing is, i need to know how i can access the memory on the module and program what i want into it.

but first i need to know if it has memory built into it that can be used, also if its the registry on it that i would be programming into.

i need some way of gaining access to this area using a basic picaxe module i have ( i believe its an 08m??? maybe?) its the basic one though

im a grade 12 student taking electronics for the first time and have basic understanding of all of this. my teacher is also looking for some way of interfacing with the emic module as well.

here is a .pdf link to the EMIC text-to-speech chip. its 24 pages. but takes about 30 seconds to load.

any help at all would be greatly appreciated. as this is my first big project for the class ( i just finished a rechargable flashlight in a tictac box i found on instructables.com)

papaof2

You do NOT need hex to talk to the device,

On page 5, under Configuration Switches, "If SW1 is set to ON, the Emic Platform will accept and respond to commands in an ASCII (printable text) format."

Also on page 5 is the command set, which has this entry:
Code:
COMMAND                | ASCII     |      HEX
Convert text to speech | say=text; | 0x00, text, 0xAA
Which means that you can simply send
say=hello;
to make the chip say hello.

The PICAXE serial output speed needs to be set to T2400, and the default N81 configuration is what the EMIC expects.

John

Last edited:

seaplusplus

so hooking up the picaxe module to the emic one, do i tell the picaxe waht to tell the emic module to say? or do i program the module through the picaxe?

seaplusplus

k so we have the picaxe module and the emic module connected on a breadboard, we have the voltage coming into the picaxe module set at 4.6v and when we conenct it the emic module lights up wit ha green light. we have the switch set to on so it will accept ascii. the only problem were having now is taht our speaker isnt emitting any sounds(we tried using different speakers)

here is the code we tried in the picaxe programming editor

main:
SEROUT 4,T2400, ("oh hello")
pause 2000
goto main

when we click run in the program editor it fully takes the program and downloads it. but nothing happens after that except that the little green light on the emic module flashes red for a fraction of a second.