Interface Picaxe with GPRS module

ral6639

I have a project that I would like to work on but not exactly sure where to start. I would like to interface a PIC with a GPRS to send MMS files(pictures) to another device. I see that you can buy GPRS modules but they do not interface with a PIC. I need to collect the data from the digital camera and then send through MMS. Anyone have any suggestions?

g6ejd

What sort of GPRS modules are you looking at, the ones I've used (Arduino) for Amater Radio have an RS232 (Serial) port and therefore are (relatively) very easy to send and receive data from, the Picaxe can generate / receive the serial data and all you have to do is match the TTL output to an RS232 input/output source, for which there are many e.g. MAX232 devices on the market at very low cost, a £1 or less.

You can use two GPRS devices to send / receive data to each other, but the range will be largely line-of-sight, you canm do PAYG and hence to a mobile phone, but short range device-to-device is easy, that's as good as it gets IMO. Does anyone else have any experience of using these devices?

BTW Radio Amateurs use a similar scheme, but the resultant modulation is applied to a Transmitter usually VHF (we call it Packet) and the networks are peer-to-peer with occasional repeater nodes.

I wish you luck and it's a good idea, it will certainly work as a proof of principle.

Last edited:

ral6639

I would like to use a GPRS module like a SIM900 to send the data to a mobile phone. I figured the data would need to be converted via rs232 or max232 depending on voltage requirements of the module. Does anyone have any recommendations on which hardware would work best?

ral6639

Does anyone have any suggestions on GPRS modules? I have been looking at Motorola g24 and Telit GM862. Both are reasonably priced but I want to know which one will interface more easily. Thanks