Importing Manufacturer Spice Models

darbyic

Hi,

I am a complete newbie to PICAXE VSM so my apologies for what may be a rudimentary question for the rest of you.

I have a registered copy of PICAXE VSM and am generally quite excited by the potential that it offers me. However, once I stopped doing the tutorials and started to try my own designs I quickly descovered that quite a lot of the components that I would wish to use do not have SPICE models.

Not to worry it says everywhere that i can add my own and manufacturers such as Texas Instruments make them available for me to download. Now comes the rub... I can not work out how to get my downloaded files in to the application. For example how do I associate the LM339 model downloaded from the TI website please? I have (hopefully) attached the model file in question.

Regards,
Ian

Attachments

darbyic

Sorted - Tutorial Needed

Panic over. I found the other post in this forum with an answer and eventually sorted out my problem from that. However, I must say that as a novice it was less than obvious:

a) How to find the thread with an appropriate answer in.

b) How to actually get this to work in my own situation.

I think that this is a fundamental area of the PICAXE VSM software and am surprised by the lack/obscurity of the help and information that comes with the application.

What this needs is a tutorial creating like the others that come with the software. Once I have got things sorted out completely in my own mind I will attempt to produce something for the community. I can't imagine that I am the only person who has had this problem.

Watch this space. When I am done I will first post it here to get some peer critique and approval.

Regards,
Ian

darbyic

First Draft Tutorial - Associating a SPICE Model File

Hi,

Please find attached my first draft of instructions on how to associate an existing schematic device with a downloaded SPICE model. The example I have used is for the TI LM339 device, but I have also followed my own instructions to test it on a couple of other devices.

I have not yet added a set of links to manufacturers sites that provide free (compatable) SPICE models for their components because i haven't yet tested any other sources. I figured I could be doing that while the community at large decides if this is a worth while endeavour.

Regards,
Ian

P.S. the PDF conversion that i used lost some of the formatting, but I'll sort that out in a later draft/release.

Attachments

westaust55

Link to Manufacturers with component IBIS models

While I have not yet purchased a VSM license, (finding plenty else with respect to PICAXE to do at present), it is a topic of interest. Years ago I had access to PSPICE and did a small amount of medelling with that prackage.
I have had a read through the 5 tutorials from Rev Ed's website and have noted the apparently limited number of models inbuilt and need to add more as required.

Darbyic in his excellent additional tutorial mentions TI with a link.

Here is a link to a list of many suppliers (with links to each supplier) who can provide IBIS (and in some cases SPICE) component models

http://www.eigroup.org/ibis/ibis table/models.htm#top

Last edited:

darbyic

Thanks for the Links

Thank you for the feedback and the links westaust55.

When I get the time I will work my way through your list of links and search out the ones who provide compatible models for use in VSM.

I have already added screen shots to pictorially enhance the guide. However, in doing so I have managed to break the size limit for uploading to this forum. Once I have refined the guide a little more and added in your kindly supplied links I will post it on the web somewhere and put the link in to this forum.

It is unlikely to be this week though as I have quite a lot on over the next few days.

Last edited: