illegal character ('^M'(0x0D))

hax

Hi Rev Ed.

I had the above problem for a while and I could not work out what it was. It was intermittent. Sometimes it would download OK sometimes it would not. After reading a post here, I worked out that it must be a hidden character, as I had cut and pasted some code from here and there. I found that hitting delete did not necessarily delete the hidden character. To explain further, lets say that the program editor highlights the following line stating that there is an illegal character in it:

pause 1000

Looking at it, the command looks innocent enough. Deleting it in my case, and re writing it did not solve the problem.

now, after placing my cursor at the end of the command on the same line and holding down delete for say 5 seconds, you would assume that any instructions under that line would start to feed up and disappear. This was not the case with this particular line. I had to highlite with the mouse, down to the next line, and delete the dodgy character that way. Hitting the delete button just didn't do it. Just thought that this might be of benefit for anyone that is pulling their hair out trying to figure out where that invisible character is.