If at first you don't succeed...

IfAtFirst

Hi all,

After about 3 years of trying I have finally been able to register with this forum and am now able to view images and post messages (I hope).

I eventually had to create a google email account to receive the activation email that is required, for some strange reason my normal email account <user name>&tpg.com.au never receives them.

It intrigues me as to why this happens (my ISP (TPG) does not, according to them, prevent emails getting through unless they are too large, if they are suspicious they go to my junk mail folder), and would love to get to the bottom of it, and so I am wondering if any other forum members have experienced this problem?

I also had a friend attempt to register and they also did not receive the activation email (they also have a TPG email account).

In addition I have attempted to contact the web master of this site regarding this problem but never receive an answer from them at TPG or GOOGLE.

I would really like to find the reason behind this problem (and use my real email account) so does anyone have any suggestions?

(And of course, it is great to finally be a member of this terrific forum).

Cheers.

manuka

This surely deserves some sort of a medal! Sorry for your ISP woes, but as a work-a-round you can't beat opening a 2nd account, with Gmail of course the account of choice these days. Stan

IfAtFirst

Thanks Stan, I actually did try the second account route way back in that I used my work email account, also with no luck. It seems that GMail is indeed a preferred option, it is only that I noticed GMail and thought why not give that a go that I ended up trying it.

Of course now I have about a dozen user profiles in the forum data base all using up valuable user names ;-) - I was having trouble thinking up new ones! Then again, maybe "IfAtFirst" contains the magic!

Whether it is ISP related still remains to be determined.

Gary

stocky

I too had this problem - its something to do with the fact that the senders name on the activation email DOES NOT MATCH the senders domain and its gets SPAM FILTERED! Luckily I have control of my email server so I could fix it for myself.

Maybe something Rev-ed needs to look at as "matching senders and domains" is getting a more common way to filter SPAM?!?!?

Stocky

IfAtFirst

Thanks Stocky,

Yes I think this is mentioned somewhere else in the forum, the only thing is the emails are definitely not going into my spam folder and my ISP says they do not arbitrarily delete or block spam unless it exceeds a size limit (5MByte), of course they could be telling me fibs, or it could, I suppose, be being blocked elsewhere.

As a test of this I did ask Administration if they could send me a test email to both my GMail and my real email account so I could go back to TPG and ask "what gives", unfortunately Admin didn't come to the party (too busy I guess).

Mysterious.

Texy

I also initially had problems with my prefered Tiscali account so I contacted Technical. He suggested it was a problem 'my' end so I contacted Tiscali Support, even though I was doubious as I,ve registered to other forums before without a problem. Technical was right on the money as my ISP found a 'problem' with my account. They took around two weeks for sort it, and never did tell me that they had, I just tried it again one day and it worked (I was using my yahoo account for this forum in the mean time).
Try contacting TPG support, or if you are happy using your GMail account ,do nothing;)

Texy

IfAtFirst

Thanks Texy, I had done that before but you motivated me to try again, unfortunately my ISP support people reply back with "send us the bounced emails", but since I can't get the administrators of this forum to talk to me at all I guess I'll have to give up. I am not happy with having to use GMail, and I'm not happy with having about 2 dozen unactivated registrations, but I guess I'll have to live with it.

Cheers,

Gary