Identifying PICAXE Chips...

johnmobley

I have a problem that i never thought of until now. I was working on a circuit and had my little cabinet that organized my chips sitting next to me. My one year old daughter reached for the cabinet and accidently dumped it on the floor.

I would like to know how I can decifer which chip is which now...I never labled the actual chips (Stupid Me):p

moxhamj

I had a similar problem yesterday - mixed up a bunch of 08s and 08Ms. Solution I found was to try programming them with a short program (eg one that flashes a led). The programming editor then tells you if the wrong chip is installed. After a while I got to know which part number on the chip corresponded with which picaxe chip and worked it out that way.

moxhamj

Thanks inglewoodpete, I didn't know you could do that! Will save a lot of time next time my parts drawers get all muddled up (which happens too often. Must try to keep the shed tidier...).

inglewoodpete

Must say that my parts supply is more modest: 1 drawer is enough for my PICAXEs, resonators and misc i2c chips.

Luckily, I don't have any bare PICs to add to my confusion so I generally use Manuka's method of reading the part numbers.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
A few comments on manuka's list ...

28X2 is an 18F2520, 40X2 is an 18F4520, and both have a 4x1000 line on-chip program capacity.

20X2 will be an 18F14K22 and has a 1x1000 line on-chip program capacity.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I had a similar problem yesterday - mixed up a bunch of 08s and 08Ms. Solution I found was to try programming them ...
It's probably always a retrospective D'Oh! moment when you are reminded you could have just clicked the "Firmware?" button and you would have been told what they were :)

Dippy

Thats what IP suggested in Post #3.

Also Stan is missing the 28X2 and 40X2 3V K variants from his table.
Which also suggests a new column for operational voltage range is perhaps needed?

Labels, everybody needs good Labels.... that's when good labels become good friends.
(To the tune of Neighbours)

And get a taller cabinet :)

Last edited:

Dippy

Oh Westy ... read a Manual? No, No, No..... ;)

(My irony assumes the drawer didn't hold blank PICs too)