iButton Time Logging

jopooze

For my electronics project I require the ability to display the time of which a Thermochron temperature logger iButton is detected on a screen. I have a Picaxe 18M2 hooked up to an AXE091U board with two DS1921H Thermochron temperature loggers. I can detect them using the 1-wire reader but that's as far as my knowledge goes.

Any replies are appreciated.

Thanks!

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
For my electronics project I require the ability to display the time of which a Thermochron temperature logger iButton is detected on a screen.
If you want to know the time the iButton is detected you would probably need a real-time clock connected to the PICAXE. Something like the DS1307 which can be read when the PICAXE detects the iButton is present.

The DS1921H appears to have an RTC within it and it may be possible to read that but would need to use OWIN/OWOUT commands which are only available on PICAXE-X2 and X1 devices.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Reading data such as time off an iButton thermochron is quite complicated and could only be done with owin/owout commands.

westaust55

As already mentioned, you will need an X1 or X2 PICAXE part to communicated with the DS1921H iButton.

From the datasheet, the registered for the real time clock (RTC) are set out similar to a DS1307 RTC.

For use of the PICAXE 1-Wire serial comms you might like to have a read through the "tutorial" I post d on this forum quite some time ago covering many of the then available Maxim 1wire devices.
Do a search using my forum name then my Profile and finally search for Threads started by me.
You should (over the 7 or so pages) find one for 1-Wire networks.

jopooze

Luckily I actually nabbed a 28X2 IC. I'll have a fiddle for a while and read that tutorial 'westaust55' said. Any possible tips or general instructions are greatly appreciated. :D