How to return what I bought from The Picaxe Store?

MaltiK

I bought 1 servo, 1 sonar SRF05, and 1 Picaxe 28x1 Micronctroller, and I wish to return all three of them for full price, they all work fine I just gave up on them, who/ what do I call, I am American and live on the East Coast.

westaust55

I bought 1 servo, 1 sonar SRF05, and 1 Picaxe 28x1 Micronctroller, and I wish to return all three of them for full price, they all work fine I just gave up on them, who/ what do I call, I am American and live on the East Coast.
A store or seller is under no obligation to accept an item back if something is working but you no longer want it.

You are now the proud owner of the parts - to keep !

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
It's unlikely a manufacturer or dealer would take product back if it was what was aksed for and worked as expected but you could always contact them and ask. If you still have the original packaging and none of this has been used then you may be lucky but if they have been used it would seem unlikely.

The other option is eBay or some other auction site.

I doubt you'll get full price because for the same price people can buy direct with guarantees and consumer rights. Then again, I've seen people pay more for items on eBay than they are in PoundLand / eBuyer where it's obvious sellers are buying from.

westaust55

Your second thread started this morning also indictes things are not as new, You have got solder onto the sonar board in places it shuld not be or are you trying to clean it up after experimenting with it to make it look new?

moxhamj

I agree with hippy - stick it on ebay. Heck, if this guy can sell a blended iphone http://www.willitblend.com/videos.aspx?type=unsafe&video=iphone on ebay then you can sell some blobs of solder with an IC attached.

If soldering is the problem, then grab some experimenter board and some cheap components (eg resistors) and start practicing. You will learn things along the way, like cleaning boards with a bit of sandpaper before you start soldering if the boards are more than a few months old and are a bit oxidised.

Or find someone who can show you these tricks.

I'm a little saddened you might be giving up on this project - is the soldering the problem or are other things not working as well?

MaltiK

other things arent working, because I cant figure out how to connect the SRF05 to the picaxe board, care to help me?

moxhamj

Sure, this forum is here to help!

The SRF05 is this one ? http://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/htm/srf05tech.htm

The connections will be 5V, ground, data in and data out.

You will need to choose some input and output pins on the 28X1.

But first, do you have a 5V regulator, 22uF and 0.1uF across the 5V, and a protoboard?

If so, do you have the picaxe connected up and can you download simple programs.

If that is working, next step is to flash a led.

And once that is working then you can connect up the ultrasonic board.

And when that works, set up a seperate power supply for the servo (4 batteries, common earth) and get the servo working.

You said in the first post that they all work fine, so presumably you have some of the above working already. Where are you stuck - connecting the wires up, or with the software?

westaust55

Getting a PICAXE project operating

As Dr Acula says,
If it’s help you need to get your PICAXE operating then just ask.

Let those here know what you have done, what program code if any, you have written and where specifically you are having problems.
We do not have crystal balls so try and be clear with what you have done and what the problems are.

Try and provide a circuit diagram, clear photo of the circuit (so we can trace through wiring) and upload your current progam listing (if any) and there are many here who can help you.

Is this a school project or your hobby?

What is your level of electronics experience.

It all helps us to determine at what level to pitch our answers.

Dippy

People can provide a lot of help Maltik. You can get it sorted if you haven't broken it.

As WA says; provide some info.
If your question/problem/description is clear then you will get some good help.
A drawing of your circuit (aka 'schematic') is a must.

But if it is a school exam-related project then don't expect people to do it all for you. People will hand you the hose pipe , but they won't wash your car. Some show-offs might like to do it all for you, so some flattery may work wonders...

As for returning second-hand used stuff for a full refund...? Joking aside, just put yourself in the retailer's position. From their pov someone is sending something back which they have soldered and maybe busted and want a full refund... be fair, what would you say?
I know what I'd say.

MaltiK

Ok, I created basic programs with the servo, such as a random number generator for the servo's rotations, as well as flashing an LED, but after all that I attempted to connect the SRF05 to the Picaxe 28x1 and, stupidly I attempted to solder them together, what were your connection methods, I am aware of where they connect its this right:

Rickharris

Ok, I created basic programs with the servo, such as a random number generator for the servo's rotations, as well as flashing an LED, but after all that I attempted to connect the SRF05 to the Picaxe 28x1 and, stupidly I attempted to solder them together, what were your connection methods, I am aware of where they connect its this right:

Your connections look good if your soldering is OK. So what programme did you use - the example from the manual 2??

Can you show your programme?

slimplynth

Code:
symbol trig = 0 ‘ Define output pin for Trigger pulse
symbol echo = 0 ‘ Define input pin for Echo pulse
symbol range = w1 ‘ 16 bit word variable for range
symbol siren = w2

main:
pulsout trig,2 ‘ produce 20uS trigger pulse (must be minimum of 10uS)
pulsin echo,1,range ‘ measures the range in 10uS steps

pause 10 ‘ recharge period after ranging completes
‘ now convert range to cm (divide by 5.8) or inches (divide by 14.8)
‘ as picaxe cannot use 5.8, multiply by 10 then divide by 58 instead
let range = range * 10 / 58 ‘ multiply by 10 then divide by 58

if range < 5 then alarm
if range < 100 then close 
if range > 370 then quiet

let siren = range/40
sound 1,(110,siren)

debug range ‘ display range via debug command

quiet:
pause 100
debug range
goto main ‘ and around forever

close:
sound 1,(117,range)

alarm:
sound 1,(120,100)

This is pretty much the code in the data sheet for the SRF005... used with an 18X... just added a few lines to give a sound alarm , changing in frequency and pitch depending on the range of incoming hostiles ;)

MaltiK

Sure, this forum is here to help!

The SRF05 is this one ? http://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/htm/srf05tech.htm

The connections will be 5V, ground, data in and data out.

You will need to choose some input and output pins on the 28X1.

But first, do you have a 5V regulator, 22uF and 0.1uF across the 5V, and a protoboard?

If so, do you have the picaxe connected up and can you download simple programs.

If that is working, next step is to flash a led.

And once that is working then you can connect up the ultrasonic board.

And when that works, set up a seperate power supply for the servo (4 batteries, common earth) and get the servo working.

You said in the first post that they all work fine, so presumably you have some of the above working already. Where are you stuck - connecting the wires up, or with the software?
Connecting the wires :/