How to download info from chip to pc

stotty1111

Hi all
new to all this, so a bit of a virgin so to speak!
I am wanting to copy the program on a picaxe 08m2 to my pc in order that I can create more copies, how do I do it please?
I have been fiddling around with the various items of software but could not make any progress!

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Welcome to the forum.
This is not possible - you need to find the original .bas file saved on the computer.

geoff07

If you are using PE6 and have it set up right there should be a copy of the file saved in the computer with a timestamp in the name. Look for filenames beginning '~'. You should also still have the original of course. You do make backups, n'est pas?

If you could unload the file from the chip it would be impossible for any commercial producer to make any money as their code would be ripped off by unscrupulous companies.

stotty1111

unfortunately I have no software, just the chip, I am a member of a model boat club here in finistere, we have a large junior section just about to finish construction of their boats, having an esc that is simple and works, my idea was to just copy and build these controllers as cheaply/easily as possible - got it wrong again!!;-((

WHITEKNUCKLES

You certainly got it right posting on this forum.
If the 08M2 Picaxe that you have performs the functions that you want then describe those functions in detail here on the forum.
Otherwise detail the functions and restrictions, size, cost and type of construction that you would like and the forum will respond in a most helpful manner.

Dave

f2cf1g

Congratulations on having juniors who want to make things. The question is, where did the controller come from and who wrote the software in it? If you can find the source it will be a whole lot easier than starting from scratch.

MPep

Agree that finding the original source will be most useful......... BUT if you started from scratch, just imagine all that you've learnt along the way! :D

stotty1111

It's a 10A technobots esc, I bought several chips , built one recently gave it a whizz, in a bigger boat, on the brest-nantes canal - brilliant, just what the kids need, as I wrote above above, if I could get to the prog. it would have been wonderful! Looking at the tech... site , its shut down until 5 jan , think i'll try contacting them to see if they would be willing to help, as chip cost is not a lot different to prog'd chip, can't be a great profit for them per chip!
hey ho bonne fetes a tous et bonne annee 9quand il arriverera)

(merry xmas + happy new year(when it arrives)

CLUELESS1

It's a pain not being able to export a Picaxe program back into the PC, however it's good in respect to stopping someone pinching someone elses coded product. Happy XMAS and new year all

srnet

It's a pain not being able to export a Picaxe program back into the PC
For those that do not have backups of the original PICAXE BASIC file, I would guess it is.

However, even if you could 'export' the program back into a PC, your not going to get the source code listing back.

rossko57

think i'll try contacting them to see if they would be willing to help, as chip cost is not a lot different to prog'd chip, can't be a great profit for them per chip!
That cuts both ways; if the product is low priced, they might not be very eager to help you avoid buying it. Maybe asking for a discount on ten would be more realistic?

bluejets

The chip used is an 08M not 08m2 and for $7 programmed seem cheap to me.
Especially since you cannot get many 08m chips anymore I'd imagine.

There is a complete description of how the thing operates and kids being what they are, tend to thrive on challenges like this.
So have you thought about getting one or more of them into the picaxe programming?
Just a thought, plenty of help here also if they get bogged down.

References.. http://www.technobotsonline.com/?subcats=Y&status=A&pshort=N&pfull=N&pname=Y&pkeywords=N&search_performed=Y&q=picaxe&x=0&y=0&dispatch=products.search

http://www.technobotsonline.com/10a-motor-speed-controller.html