hi!!!

pleve2

Hi!! to every one, I´m mexican and I want to stablish a conversation with all of you, but I feel my English is not good enough and I hope you can forgive me if I make mistakes!! Thanks guys. In the future I will make some questions about picaxe chips!!!

Mycroft2152

Welcome aboard!

Just start asking questions!

There is a lot of experience here, we've made most of the errors ourselves. :)

Myc

manuka

pleve2: Welcome! Your English looks superior to many "txt" era queries this forum regularly battles with, so fire away. Of course also just use Spanish, as we can easily Google translate.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
pleve2: ¡Bienvenido! Su Inglés espera superior a muchos "txt" era este foro de consultas regularmente con las batallas, por lo que el fuego inmediato. Por supuesto, también acaba de utilizar el español, como podemos fácilmente traductor Google.

sedeap

Google translations.... not accurate.

pleve2: Welcome! Your English looks superior to many "txt" era queries this forum regularly battles with, so fire away. Of course also just use Spanish, as we can easily Google translate.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
pleve2: ¡Bienvenido! Su Inglés espera superior a muchos "txt" era este foro de consultas regularmente con las batallas, por lo que el fuego inmediato. Por supuesto, también acaba de utilizar el español, como podemos fácilmente traductor Google.
Damn google... LOL
the translation eng-esp really sucks (a lot...)
You say in the autotranslator result:
Welcome... your english wait high a lot "txt" age this forum regulary with Battles, because so fire right now. Of course you just use Spanish, how can easily translator Google.

But... is one tool to make "almost" understandable foreing languajes... LOL.

SO... Pleve2... you can ask in spanish too, and this forum have at least one thread for spanish speakers. HERE

BIENVENIDO Pleve2 al foro y si necesitas consultar algo especifico en español, puedes hacerlo en este Thread
Muchos de los que hablamos español lo controlamos regularmente, asi como otros genios de los MC que hablan ingles DrAcula, Hippy, Dippy, Manuka y otros muchos mas.
Esto evita que al hacer traducciones automaticas con Google o BabelFish, se malentiendan conceptos y datos que hacen mas complicado llegar a una solucion.

Salu2 ( Regards )

Dippy

Well, I was impressed Stan (not difficult). Bit embarrassing when it backfires innit :)

Is your hovercraft full of eels?

westaust55

Translations

Hmmm, lesson for us all here.
Not having a go at Stan, but this thread has just shown a flaw in some translation work I was doing into Russian as well.

But using Stan's text as an example:

1. source English:
Welcome! Your English looks superior to many "txt" era queries this forum regularly battles with, so fire away. Of course also just use Spanish, as we can easily Google translate.
2. Convert to Spanish with Google:
¡Bienvenido! Su Inglés espera superior a muchos "txt" era este foro de consultas regularmente con las batallas, por lo que el fuego inmediato. Por supuesto, también acaba de utilizar el español, como podemos fácilmente traductor Google.
3. Covert back to Enlish using Babelfish:
Welcome! Its English delay superior to many " txt" it was east forum of consultations regularly with the battles, reason why the immediate fire. By all means, also it finishes using the Spanish, as we can Google translator easily.
4. Translation back to English by Sedeap:
Welcome... your english wait high a lot "txt" age this forum regulary with Battles, because so fire right now. Of course you just use Spanish, how can easily translator Google.
5. Convert to Spanish with Yahoo:
¡Recepción! Su inglés mira superior a muchos el " txt" la era pregunta este foro lucha regularmente con, así que encienda lejos. Por supuesto también apenas utilice el español, como podemos Google traducir fácilmente.
6. An back to English with Babelfish:
Reception! Its English sight superior to many " txt" the era asks east forum fights regularly with, so it ignites far. By all means also as soon as the Spanish uses, as we can Google translate easily.
What's the similarity between 1., 3. and 6.

I guess what Sedeap sees is more akin to what we get back in Engrish if we try to put the text back to English using the same sort of translation.
--------------------------------------------------
Wunda wot the Russians fort ov mi eforts :rolleyes:
No wonder its taking weeks to get an official translation of my 100 page document into Russian (over in Moscow)

Last edited:

Mycroft2152

Hi Westy,

That reminds me of the story about an early English-Russian and Russian-English translator computer designed in the height of the cold war.

The englsih phrase:

"Out of sight, Out of mind"

was first translated into Russian, then translated from Russian back into English.

The result was:

"Invisible and Insane"

Myc

BeanieBots

A robot I once made for transporting silicon wafers (a silicon wafer handler) when translated into German and back into English became "silicon biscuit trainer".

Tom2000

ROTFL!

I think that's a direct quote from a Suzuki motorcycle maintenance manual I once bought. :)

westaust55

Out of the chest of War stories :

In a more recent case of translation faux par’s,
when a document was sent for translation that
covered “hydraulic rams", the returned translation
For this equipment was . . . “water goats”.

sedeap

Translation...

LOL...:p

Some time ago... talking with one cuban who come to my country recently,
he says... "No te aflijas, te llamo para atras..." and I get amazed...
he says (translating to english) ( Dont worry, I call you going backwards) but he
try to say, like in english usually you say, "I call you back" ( mean "I return your call")
so, he mix the languajes and the translation result in some "Spanglish"
( he should have said ... "no te preocupes, yo te llamo a ti")
So... not only automated translators make mistakes...

but sound funny (if you not work with this) anyway.

:pLOL... some manuals makers use some of these translators... I bet.

"... if some of this situations ring your bell in head, you be warned"...

or...

" ... Keep children away. (no touch allowed)"...
probably some pederast, or contagious disease warning... LOL
but they want to..."Keep away from childrens..." I guess.

I cant stop laughing... er... ahh...
Some manual becomes hilarious in spanish...
I bet they translate to english, then translating to spanish...
Manuals from Thailand or China are the best joke...

C.U, pal's

Salu2

PS: more big jokes... Nuclear attack instructions
PS2: In a RPG launcher weapon: " Point this end to the enemy when press trigger"

Last edited:

Andrew Cowan

Reminds me of the manual to a temperature controlled soldering iron I bought from maplins.

-This weld machine is an ideal welding tool for an amateur fancier, school, car of electronics, and for maintaining service, producing with labratory.

-Outer shell construction is tightly and firmly packed, and it has good function to instulate the aegis.

-The welding machine is absolutly prohibited to be used to heat the liquid(water,electrolyte and ?) or heat the plastic parts (it will form poisonous air and cause fires).

-After welding, please melt a little solder on the welding mouth before putting the iron back to the frame and turning off the machine. Clean away excrescent solder on the fiery mouth with wet sponge before starting welding next time.

-Please conserve the weld machine's packing box. In cause that we use it for future transportation or put the weld machine into it when we don't need it ,so as to avoid pollution of ash and the eroding of the wet.
1) Put the metal helix of screw frame into the corresponding open crust of the electric soldering irons frame. And use the screw to fasten it and so does the bottom of the frame.
2) Please let the sponge for tidying up glue absorb enough clean water and drop to dry, and then put it on salver.

-The welding of electric components costs not more than two minutes.

-The electric soldering irons and the weld machine can not carry too much man's weight.

-the temperature of the electric soldering irons can reach more than 160*C, if the animal or man touch the heated by the electric soldering irons, we will suffer seriously bum.

-If you press the switch without move, regulating will go on by 10*C every grade til the demanded temperature is displayed.

-...the piezoelectricity sensor will give out sound of alarm.

:D

Andrew

Dippy

Probably translated from Chinese by the same bloke who did the LED tester.
Glad to see you are buying quality products Andrew.

I remember a cheap CB I bought. It had a Roger Bleep, or, as it said on the box, a Standby Pee.

Rookie

http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Like some Hard drives I have...

"No human serviceable parts inside"
" ...do not open, read user manual, manual inside..."

or some soldering iron instructions

"... when operating get hot, and can burn you"
"... use only handle to grab it..."
" ... hot iron and cold iron look in same manner, so be wise and test it before touch it..."
"... use at your own risk, no complain."

papaof2

I've seen that happen ;-)

" ... hot iron and cold iron look in same manner, so be wise and test it before touch it..."
QUOTE]

Told our then six-year-old that the elements on the electric cook stove could be too hot to touch even when they were NOT red. She showed her inquiring mind early - by doing empirical testing. We knew what had happened when we heard her cry... Fortunately, it was a light touch of one fingertip and just painful enough to make her believe us about things that may not be as they appear. She definitely was engineer material - she has Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Industrial Engineering from Georgia Tech.

John

manuka

Machine translations should be considered much less accurate than human translated versions, & sometimes they're wildly or even comically inaccurate. However the likes of Google Translate offer the advantage of providing instantly, & FREELY, at least some insights -however poor the grammar may be to a native speaker.

Keep in mind professional translation charges can be at the $$$ level per page, & extensive delays may result even locating someone who can translate between obscure languages.
In ENGLISH "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog", becomes an almost lucid "Den hurtige brune ræv hopper over den dovne hund" in DANISH. Few readers could however make sense of "Rychlé hnědá liška skoky přes líný pes" in CZECH, yet Google Translate reveals clearly it's TQBFJOTLD again.

I come from an era when taking a foreign language paper (often-gasp-Latin!) was compulsory at university,so that scientific documents etc could be translated, & for decades I've had a whole shelf full of well thumbed foreign language dictionaries. With this sort of background you can imagine the likes of Babelfish & GT are a godsend.

You still can't beat classic dictionaries in the field! I'm likely to be in New Guinea soon on a project, & the likes of "binoculars = glas bilong kapten " in their colourful PIDGIN will have to be nutted out traditionally. Stan

papaof2

And $$$ per page may be cheap ;-)

Keep in mind professional translation charges can be at the $$$ level per page, & extensive delays may result even locating someone who can translate between obscure languages. Stan
Check the going yearly rate for a US citizen who can speak Pashto & English:
http://www.wwlr.com/

Note that the rate may include hazard pay...

John