hi object sensor circuit

Kailesh

hi how can you make a object sensor circuit trying to sense a small object like a beyblade within a small 1-15cm radius, for a school project.

mrburnette

hi how can you make a object sensor circuit trying to sense a small object like a beyblade within a small 1-15cm radius, for a school project.

Welcome, Kailesh. When you say "sense" do you have a specific meaning in mind? For example, in a small, mobile robot, sense could mean bumping into something and tripping a small switch... we have all seen pictures of those little critters with the wire sensors. For a more sophisticated robot, it could also mean sensing with ultrasonic or IR. For a stationary device, we can toss many different sensors at the problem, but we (forum) need just a weebit more info.

So is Carrotland the Norfolk and Suffolk area on the east coast?

- Ray

russbow

EC. Have you no better things to do. Skulking around the toy shops indeed. ;)

By the way, the link only works if you put at ) at the end. See, I couldn't resist it either. :eek:

eclectic

Thank you russbow.

You obviously have a better knowledge of toyshops than I.

And meanwhile,
where is Kailesh, to answer the questions?

e

Kailesh

yes beyblade the spinning top, maybe like when it is attached to the end of the launcher so basically could i have maybe an IR light and then the beyblade blocks it, so then it is detected or something?

Thanks, sorry if i haven't answered your question or something

eclectic

yes beyblade the spinning top, maybe like when it is attached to the end of the launcher so basically could i have maybe an IR light and then the beyblade blocks it, so then it is detected or something?

Thanks, sorry if i haven't answered your question or something
We're starting to get there. :)

OK, can you describe the "Arena"
or the area where you need to detect the top?

e

Dippy

Blimey, my older cousin used to have a game in the 70s called Battling Tops.
This boyblade is a bit posher but, hey , it's like having a flashback or something.

"maybe like when it is attached to the end of the launcher so basically could i have maybe an IR light and then the beyblade blocks it, so then it is detected or something? "
- Umm.. how will that help once it is whizzing around the bowl?
Don't you want to sense the toy in 2D?
If so a simple break-beam on the end of your schnozzle is useless.

Using a video motion sensing system or multi-stratified IR comb-beam matrix you can easily do it.

However, as this is a school project what have you done so far for yourself?
How would you want the detection displayed? A spot on a screen or something?
Or do you want to track it with servo feedback so that you can blast it with an Uzi?
Should it be a special arena or work on any arena?
What is your skill/experience level with electronics and programming?

If you have some thought-out concept for us to get our teeth into then it would help.
Or are you teasing us into providing a full solution for your homework? :)

Kailesh

no this is not my homework, basically when the beyblade is on the launcher, NOT in the stadium i want the beyblade to be detected so then so plastic prongs come on it and grip inside it, the plastic prongs bit is kind of irrelevant at the moment, buy i just like need to know how a beyblade could be sensed or something, so like as i mentioned before it blocked the IR?

Thanks for your help guys

Last edited:

mrburnette

no this is not my homework, basically when the beyblade is on the launcher, NOT in the stadium i want the beyblade to be detected so then so plastic prongs come on it and grip inside it, the plastic prongs bit is kind of irrelevant at the moment, buy i just like need to know how a beyblade could be sensed or something, so like as i mentioned before it blocked the IR?

Thanks for your help guys
To "block" we would need to have a light transmitter and a light receiver aligned so that the top is in the launcher, the light (IR or visible) is blocked. Mounting the sensors might be tricky and wires have to be carefully routed.

The light transmitter could be an IR LED. The light receiver could be an IR sensitive photo transistor.

If this sounds like something you want to continue, then this link will help you understand how it could be implemented without the PICAXE. Look it over and give some feedback. We (forum) will need a lots of specifics if you wish assistance...
- purpose of project (intent)
- what does PICAXE do? (Model of chip or project board)
& As much background info as possible.

http://www.razorconcepts.net/phototransistor.html

- Ray

Kailesh

Sorry for the delay i have been busy, nick12ab has been annoying me.

The intent of my project is to build a beyblade RPM shooter, i have done the RPM bit but also i want it to detect the beyblade so then small plastic prongs can grip onto the beyblade for a tighter grip.

The picaxe is a 28 pin DIL.

Paix

Sorry for the delay i have been busy, nick12ab has been annoying me..
Sounds like pure gratitude. A forlorn case of a good rod wasted on an ultimately terminated equinine form. The bid to save forum members from attempted exsanguination of the old boulder has to be worth a bit of a thank you from the rest of us at least. Thanks Nick. :)

My limited view, given a look at the Toys 'R' Us link to the BeyBlade (BB) kindly provided by Eclectic leads me to believe that the BB top has a hexagonal drive boss that mates with the BB controller/launcher. I presume that having mated, the two "L" shaped spigots under the launcher will be inserted in two slots on the top surface of the BB top and lock by the top being rotated a few degrees anti-clockwise, as viewed from the top. Launch being effected by the hexagonal drive boss being sprung to eject and unlocking by physically rotating the static body of the BB top clockwise a few degrees.

It strikes me that the two spiggots are a bit of a weak point and is this the reason for the project - that one or both of them has become broken?

That might be reason enough to look for a replacement or improved launcher. Sounds more like a super duper Black & Decker router launcher project than a PICAXE one, but that's just my take on it.

Electromechanical replacement metal spiggots, with optical sensing/activation of the locking mechanism?

So, Kallesh, Have I got the right sort of idea? Are you looking to repair, upgrade or to replace the launcher with an electromechanical version?

Can you produce a drawing/sketch of the bits that are important to your project that you need help with?

My reading of Nick is that he has a lot of patience and is extremely helpful, so please do not dismiss his assistance so lightly as you appear to have done. Your responsibility in this matter is to provide, to the best of your ability, the information requested in order that forum members can actually help you.

Hippy's crystal is away being polished at the moment, so you will have to do your bit if you want to pursue the matter. Only then can we get to the PICAXE side of your problem/project.

Kailesh

I am looking to upgrade the launcher, what do you mean by "spiggots", i can try to do a sketch but it won't be the best. Also the hexagonal bit is a a part of the new series but i would like to encorperate the object sensor into the old series with a beyblade looking like this:
attaching to this launcher (the red prongs):

Paix

Sorry, spiggots, OK sticky outy things - The red prongs/tines.

I wasn't aware of Beyblades, never mind their upgrade path from "prongs" to "Hex sockets", but that's not a problem.

What does seem to be a bit of a problem is that you have a small rotating drive disk on the gun/launcher, with two 'prongs' that engage the Beyblade spinning disk/top.

To sense that a blade was correctly engaged on the launcher seems to be difficult, particularly so because the drive disk is pretty flat, except for the prongs and rotates.

I don't think that there is a reasonable answer to your question. It's impracticall in it's present form. :)

Kailesh

Well I could remove the nail/screw and put something there to sense it, then to make the prongs bit stay on use magnets, but thats irrelevant, and the plastic bits that extend could come out of the small gap next to the the prongs.

Kailesh

Last edited by Kailesh; Today at 19:14. Reason: original post too "quiet"

Last edited by a moderator:

MartinM57

I think a polite request for some more assistance might achieve more for you Kailesh (if that is what you are asking for - who knows?) - but you also have to recognise that if a thread starts to die out without a solution, then maybe there is nothing more to say/advise...

Kailesh

Ok sorry, but i have posted and i hope i have tried to get the idea of my project across, and i am unsure what to do, because it has been working so far?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
However, the lack of replies over the last week almost certainly shows that no-one can help. :-(
Or perhaps people are willing to help but do not understand enough about the project to feel able to help.

I'm not entirely sure exactly what you want to do, what you want to achieve, what your project when completed will do, and I suspect there are others who may be in the same position. While you have a very clear understanding of what you are after in your own mind others can only guess at that or understand it from the detail you provide people with. The more detail and explanation you can provide the better people will be able to help you.

inglewoodpete

I remember when my kids had beyblades when they were younger, the spigots on the launcher cracked and then broke after much over-enthusiastic use. It was the weak point of the whole I made a replacement disk with copper sheet and soldered copper spigots to it. It worked a treat. I can understand why they have finally designed a stronger, hexagonal drive.

Having said that, I have been reading the posts on this thread over the last week and I still can't grasp what is required and what part a PICAXE could play in it. Maybe I'm just the wrong generation for sensing "hi objects", whatever they are.

westaust55

Kailesh ( mailto:...@hotmail.com ) has reported this post:

http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?20748&p=201132#post201132

This is part of this thread: hi object sensor circuit http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?20748

This is the reason that the user gave: Post too quiet.

This message has been sent to all moderators of this forum, or all administrators if there are no moderators.
Please respond to this post as applicable.
@Kailesh,
Bumping your thread as done on the 25 and 27th March is generally not considered good etiquette.

However, reporting your thread, as you have just done, so that a message is sent to all of the forum moderators is extremely poor etiquette.
Reporting is intended for threads with SPAM, advertising, foul language, and similar matters where, if the report is found to be valid, the thread is usually then removed.
Reporting just because you feel your post/question “is too quiet” is bad practice.

Other forum members will help where they can AND if they are interested.
Please consider the comments made by forum member hippy in post 23.

Last edited by a moderator:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
However, reporting your thread, as you have just done, so that a message is sent to all of the forum moderators is extremely poor etiquette.
As Westaust55 notes, 'bumping' is considered poor etiquette. The only time it may have a legitimate place is when someone has said they will provide additional information or help later but have not done that, and then it's best to ask politely for an update rather than just "bump".

To bump by editing a past posting is entirely pointless. If there is a place for that, or if seeking an update, it is as a new post to a thread.

To bump, as you did, by using large fonts and a mass of nothingness is nothing more than making a breach of etiquette worse and is disruptive to everyone reading the thread. The intensity of the "bump" won't get positive responses any quicker and will likely achieve entirely the opposite of what you want.

To then report your own "bump" is unacceptable. If hoping forum administrators will then respond positively to the thread it is unlikely they will.

We can, and will, take action against members who are purposely disruptive on the forum so please bear that in mind when considering how to behave here.

Dippy

Aha, I was wondering why a "report" had popped up in my inbox.

I think Kailesh must hopefully realise that people here don't know about this thing.
He must surely realise that if anyone had a keen interest then they would reply as peeps here are very helpful where and when they can be.

From my perspective, I don't what they are and certainly don't know what he's on about based on the description given.

I would conclude that bumping is pointless wrt this subject.
And any more silly bumping will probably result in the thread being closed - which Kailesh must surely realise is counterproductive for him/her too.
As frustrating as it is, it may be time to find a Forum more appropriate to this toy?

nick12ab

I found out that, according to his electronics teacher, this is supposed to be a controlled assessment. By the way, he is male.

gbrusseau

Not sure this idea of mine is worthy of sensing from 1.0 cm to 15.0 cm, but in any case, its an interesting posser. Its called Theremin Vision. Not only can you sense the distance, but the direction and to some extent, size. See URL below.

http://thereminvision.com

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Ten years later! :)
That, plus not being sure how the forum having avatars helped, made me raise an eyebrow. We do keep an eye on postings so if anything untowards is going on we can and will address that.

I am mostly intrigued how allowing avatars helped, what the project was.