Help with 'RFOUT' command

Ga-Retired

Hi everyone,just completed my temperature display project and settled on the DS18B20 sensor which works nicely. My thanks go out to all the great forum members that gave me advice that got me this far.

I'm now at the second phase of the project and that is:sending the temp data out using the 'rfout' command.I plan on using the code snippit for the 'rfout' command from the basic command manual.However that example appears to use a LCD module as the display and I need to use code for BCD.

My question is:Using the 'readtemp' command and using 2 digits on the 7segment LED display with b.0 - b.7 as BCD inputs using a 18m2+, what do I need to use for the 8 bytes of data required for the 'rfout' command?

Example: rfout b.5 ( 8 bytes of data )

Sorry if this is a pretty crude question but I know I can get this thing working with all the folks that have "been there,done that"!Thanks everyone for your input,its always appreicated.My best,Ga-Retired

nick12ab

My question is:Using the 'readtemp' command and using 2 digits on the 7segment LED display with b.0 - b.7 as BCD inputs using a 18m2+, what do I need to use for the 8 bytes of data required for the 'rfout' command?
I don't know!
  • Are you using some sort of wireless radio?
  • Is the PICAXE with the 7-segment displays connected to the receiver or transmitter?
  • The DS18B20 is connected to the transmitter, right?
OR
  • There's no wireless, only one PICAXE, and you're trying to use the rfout command to control some 7-segment displays?

westaust55

As you have identified, the RFOUT command (and RFIN) work with packets of 8 bytes.
Those bytes can be any values you like (range 0 to 255).
As you only need to send/receive 1 byte of data you can use any value you like.
For example send your 1 byte 8 times and then receive all 8 values into the same byte by using the same variable name 8 times.

RFOUT <pin>, (b0, b0, b0, b0, b0, b0 ,b0, b0)
RFIN <pin>, (b0, b0, b0, b0, b0, b0 ,b0, b0)

or you could even be more adventurous and invert (INV or XOR commands) the value as a form of check and send two differnet values and check that what you receive matches.

Last edited:

Ga-Retired

Thank you AGAIN Westie for that info,just what I needed to get this project moving along again.
Hi Nick,yep, I said this was a crude question,didn't make a whole lot of sense I know.In a nutshell what I got going here is a wireless temp. using a DS19B20 into a 433.92 Tx controlled by a 14m2. Rx is controlled by a 18M2+ driving 2, MC14513 BCD LED decoder/drivers outputting to 2 digit C/C 7 segment LED displays.Had a slew od these displays and MC14513 IC's so wanted to use them up.Want to get into the serial stuff after this so I'll be coming back more than likely with more questions!

Thanks everyone for your input as always,my best,Jeff