help with an led cube?

limaD_07

so I've built my cube as per the PCB layout (see attached) but with a number of changes, these include
-removing the motion sensor depicted by an LDR it now if in an on or off state.
-Increasing the size of the capacitor because it kept popping c5 on the layout, however this may have been due to a faulty power supply?
-Removing the link through the voltage regulator (don't know how that happened)

And when i plug the cube into program it i get an error message?
I did a continuity test and couldn't find anything wrong?

if you have any suggestions please help i really want to finish this project for school! before then end of the year and hopefully build another one with less problems! ahah

thanks.

Attachments

Bill.b

It would appear that you may have the programming connections reversed. Pins 6 in receive (RX) and pin 7 transmit (TX).

The LDR is definatly in the wrong place, I doubt it could handle the total current from the supply, if it did suvived, the series resistance would
possible disable the whole circuit.

cube4x4.jpg

If you require a program for the cube, I can supply the program i played with. I didnot continue with the project as i needed the controller
for a chistmas light display.

http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?22154-An-other-4x4x4-LED-cube&highlight=cube

Bill

limaD_07

Thanks heaps bill i will check that out straight away and thanks i will have a look at the code but i would like to learn to write it myself as i hope to someday build an RGB cube and write my own animations!

inglewoodpete

-Increasing the size of the capacitor because it kept popping c5 on the layout, however this may have been due to a faulty power supply
By "popping", I assume you mean exploding with much smoke and horrible smells. The print in your circuit diagram is too small for me to pick out C5.

In 99% of cases, electrolytic capacitors only explode if you apply more voltage than they are rated at or you reverse the power applied to them. It is usually best to use an electrolytic with a voltage rating of 50% larger than the voltage you want them to work at. Eg 16v for a 12 volt supply. Or course, if you reverse their connections, they will also leak current, get hot, boil their electrolyte and then explode.