HELP WANTED on Mars [beacon light]

joemahma

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLmAjVua0r4

As a noob to this forum, and to Picaxing in general, my first post requesting help with a lighting problem for my homebuilt aircraft was met with unusually kind and competent solutions. I must thank Pete, AKA SAborn, for his extraordinary patience and knowledge in helping me solve my wingtip strobe issues. Not sure I'll EVER find a way to pay Pete back.

That said, the FAA gives homebuilders some latitude on anti-collisions lighting, and I stumbled across the linked page which as intended for model builders, but if I can duplicate this circuit, I can bump those 5 volts via a mosfet to accommodate my 12 volt electrical system. I'm hoping it can be duplicated with an 08M or 14M2 chip, but not sure. I'm not sure of the origin of the circuit, but it may be commercial. Since I'm new to this Picaxe world, would I be getting myself into trouble if the circuit could be copied and adapted, or what would YOU guys recommend?

Whatever the case, I thought it couldn't hurt to ask. And being married, I'm pretty used to hearing the word "NO"! OBTW, the little strobe effect in the middle of the ramping up and down cycle is EXCELLENT. Federal Aviation Regs say that a pilot has to kill his strobes while anywhere but on the runway and while in flight. The rotating beacon, or anti-collisions light usually gets switched on prior to engine start, so I don't think there's an issue, but with FEDS, a fellow just never knows for sure!

I'll offer my gratitude up front, and say THANKS to SAborn one more time. You saved my bacon!
joe

Goeytex

You don't really need to duplicate the circuit per se, just the functionality/ effect .

Should be fairly straight forward with either an 8m or a 14M2 using a varying PWM..

There should be no problem with doing that. Problems can arise when you reverse
engineer a product, duplicate it, and then sell it as your own design. I don't see you
doing that here.

Goey

joemahma

Thanks, Goeytex. You're exactly right. No entrepreneurial visions here! And you've stated the situation like a Philadelphia Lawyer! However, this noob "don't know Jack" about PWM coding yet, but I'll get there. Also, do you see any issues with the higher intensity flash at the top of the cycle? The light source I'd like to use for this project is a 13-led wedge-base bulb like the ones sold at Superbrightleds.com. I hope that isn't going to get me in any trouble. Better go back and read the fine print in the stickies. Hosting a forum has got to be a pain, what with all the yoyos out there who what to pounce every time you make the least questionable move. However, I, for one, appreciate to hassle this site's people go to.

Goeytex

Can you provide a link to the datasheet for the LED that you intend to use.? That would be most helpful. Without that , folks can only guess
at voltages, currents, etc. The code will likely be the easy part.

joemahma

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/specs/WLED-WHP13-T.htm#photos
The above line contains a pretty thorough summary of the specs you're probably interested in. I had one of the individual leds come loose from the main body, and soldering that sucker back is a PAIN! I finally ordered some of the pricey Chipquik, and a flux pen, and hopefully it will do the job. But if anyone can come up with a code that is close to the clip I showed you, I'll be grateful AND astonished. The more I read about PWM and dimming/fading and all that stuff, the more nervous I became. Please let me know if there's anything else you need.
joe

John West

What's with these threads with bizarre titles, unrelated titles? It makes it impossible to do a topic search by title.

A word to the wise, I won't be clicking on any further such thread titles. I'm happy to help those with technical problems. I'm not here to be "played."

Haku

I agree on the fusion reactor topic title, but this one is actually correct as it's dealing with a mars beacon light.

Last edited:

MartinM57

Just thought I'd flex my Moderator muscles (for the first time ever) and add [beacon light] to the thread title...and I can't :( (no, I'd never heard of one either)

(no I'm not up at 05:57 in the UK - it's 21:57 in Yuma, Arizona :D)

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Martin - on the forum listing of thread titlles double click anywhere in the thread title box. Easy when you know how!

John West

Technical, I'd like to suggest an addition to the "Read Me First" information. Something like this:

Please carefully select your thread title to ensure it is relevant and descriptive of the topic you wish discussed, as threads may be searched by title.

joemahma

John West, Thank-you for your kind and welcoming suggestions. I will, of course, try to be more specific and topic-oriented if any further posts. In the interim, my sincere appreciation to those who have helped me with my anti-collision lighting. The strobes are up and running perfectly. It's hard for this novice to grasp the power and versatility of those simple little Picaxe 08M and 14M2 chips.