Help please! I'm new

tundra010

Hello everyone! This is my first post on this forum, and I have just started learning picaxe. So, in the 1st picaxe manual's pinout diagrams, what does the 0V pin do?

Thanks in advance

D n T

The 0V pin goes to the negative on your dc supply or battery pack.
Look on page 22 of manual 1, the circuit diagram willl show you how to wire up the 08 chip

westaust55

tundra010,

Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

The 0V is as mentioned connected to the negative side of the power supply/battery.

It also acts as a common reference for the components in the microcontroller circuits. All signals are referenced relative to the 0V line.

Some integrated circuit data sheets will use abbreviations like Vss and Gnd which as basically all the same thing.
If you have two different voltage sources say as 5Vdc for the PICAXE and separately 12Vdc to drive some motors, then you will generally need to connect the 0V/Gnd of both supplies together. An exception would be with opto-coupled circuits (which you may already know about or learn about later).

Some on this forum (cannot speak for all, without abuse ! ) are endeavouring to give some generic guidance to newcomers on how better present their technical questions in terms of information to provide to gain a solution as rapidly as possible. As such, you may like to have a read at post 4 of this thread for some ideas.
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10982

boriz

"0v" = "Zero Volts"

It’s the voltage from which all other voltages in the circuit are referenced. IE: +5v really means “The voltage on this line/wire/pin, when measured with respect to 0v (Ground or GND) is plus five volts.”

You will notice that if you measure the 0v line WITH RESPECT TO the +5v line, you will get -5v (Negative five volts).

It is important to have a standard reference point/voltage so that all the other voltages make sense.