Help: ExpressPCB wont print traces

RogerTango

I am trying out ExpressPCB, and I am happy with it... It does exactly what I want and need, only problem... I cannot get it to print the traces!

I am new to the software so I am sure there is something I have not toggled or enabled or something.

The same thing when I copy the artwork to the clipboard, if I take it to a graphix program and paste, the components and pads are there, but no traces!

Can a PCBE user please offer assistance?

I have tried several others including Eagle, EPCB is the package I am primarily interested in at this time.

http://www.expresspcb.com

Thanks,
Andrew

RogerTango

I can look again when I get home, but I do recall clicking all the boxes various times with no success!

OS here is XP SP2.

Thanks,
Andrew

RogerTango

Okay, I got it... I dont know what I was doing wrong, but I got it.

Right now, Im etching a penny.

Ive got some PCB on order, will be a few daze before it gets here.

The chemicals used, 2 parts hydro to 1 part acid. The acetone is to clean off
the toner after it is etched. Iron transfer is planned.

Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble.. The solution did have some green around
it before I agitated the container.

You can see the copper peeling off the penny. What is under neath?

More to come once I have a level of success.

Thanks to everyone's help!

Cheers,
Andrew

Etchent
http://www.electro-tech-online.com/electronic-projects/23658-cheap-good-pcb-etching-solution.html

Toner Transfer
http://www.qsl.net/vk5cu/

BCJKiwi

You might consider bring the 5V trace off the other side of the 14M pad into the middle of the chip and down through the middle of the bottom 6 pin chip - more efficient power track.

Pads could be a bit larger in dia - helps with soldering and reduces the risk of tracks lifting if you ever need to desolder something.

I have used EPCB the last 12 months and like it. I use Ferric Chloride to etch the parts. It is a messy chemical that stains everything it touches. I did not know about the use of Hydrochloric acid combined with Hydrogen Peroxide. I'll give it a try.
How do you intend to transfer the image to the copper clad board. After many faliures I'm doing ok now if you want I'll let you know what I use.
You may consider increasing the thickness of the traces to at least .020". Also use the Filled Plane to avoid etching so much Copper (see attachment).

Attachments

RogerTango

You might consider bring the 5V trace off the other side of the 14M pad into the middle of the chip and down through the middle of the bottom 6 pin chip - more efficient power track.

Pads could be a bit larger in dia - helps with soldering and reduces the risk of tracks lifting if you ever need to desolder something.
Thanks for the tips, will remember that! Also, thats not a real circuit, it was just laying out some tracks and pads to see how it would print, also wanted to calibrate the print out with actual pin spacing... and I got it!

Andrew

RogerTango

I have used EPCB the last 12 months and like it. I use Ferric Chloride to etch the parts. It is a messy chemical that stains everything it touches. I did not know about the use of Hydrochloric acid combined with Hydrogen Peroxide. I'll give it a try.
How do you intend to transfer the image to the copper clad board. After many faliures I'm doing ok now if you want I'll let you know what I use.
You may consider increasing the thickness of the traces to at least .020". Also use the Filled Plane to avoid etching so much Copper (see attachment).
Iron transfer off of laser jet transparency film. I also saw someone use a laminater, I have a small one and Ill try it also! Of course Ill post back with results.

Andrew

Charlie_M

Hi Roger,
I use PressNPeel and a laminator and get perfect resaults every time.I think you will have good luck.You have to watch the thickness of your board.

RogerTango

Well, my boards came today, so guess what I did after I got home from work? I wasted some time and chemicals, because the board didnt even turn out good enough to post a picture! HA HA HA!

Well, some more trial and error is in line. I used glossy paper from a high dollar magazine, the copper etched just FINE with the hydroperox and muriatic mix! Just, not enough toner on the board to do the job!

More to come later-
Andrew