Have I found something new here?

Jamster

Just reading the manual for the PICAXE compilers and I stumbled across this:
Currently supported platforms include:​
[FONT=MKJENC+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman][FONT=MKJENC+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]
Windows (NT, 2000, 2003, XP, Vista and later) Serial & USB Linux (kernel 2.4.20 and later) Serial & USB Mac OS (X and later) USB
[/FONT][/FONT]
Platforms under development include:​
[FONT=MKJENC+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman][FONT=MKJENC+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]
Windows CE (4.2 and later) USB​
iPhone, iPod Touch Serial
[/FONT][/FONT]
Did we already know this or have I uncovered something new? And more importantly: Technical, Expand :eek:

Jamster

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Apple do not currently allow generic serial or usb<>serial product connections. So no, until that policy changes nothing will be publically available on iOS.

Jamster

That's what I thought :confused:

Does that mean that the manual is just wrong in saying it's under development then?

fib

I know Apple can be a little stubborn to deal with which is why there's nothing for serial in the App Store right now. However there are serial adaptors (like RedPark). The problem is you can't use their SDK and then upload an App to the App Store.

However, those with an Enterprise license ($299 per/year for developing in-house Apps) could create an App that uses serial and distribute it internally. The University license is free, but I'm not sure how it would work for in-house Apps.

I know PICAXE is promoted for use in education, but I'm not aware how many institutions use PICAXE. An institution should be able to pay the $299 per year to allow them to use an App in-house that supports serial. If Rev had an App they could make it available free to institutions who would then distribute it "in-house" using the Enterprise license (if the University license didn't allow it).

It's not the best way to do it, but would allow development of an iOS App (and testing/use by a significant number of people) until such time Apple adds serial support to iOS. It might also be a good way to "push" Apple if they saw a successful educational program using iPads with PICAXE considering how Apple is also pushing the iPad for education.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Yes, we have used the (expensive) RedPark cable. It works. The problem is with Apple and their restrictive licensing rules, not with the hardware.

Its not economically viable to expect schools to pay the annual $299 plus the costs of the expensive adapters to start with.

If an individual wants to use iOS as a serial terminal for a PICAXE project then the Redpark TTL cable is fine. But there will be no 'download app' for PICAXE released by RevEd if/until Apple change.

premelec

Perhaps someone can come up with a use for this 'obsolete' $30. unit which could be a display, data logger etc connected to a PICAXE even if it can't program a PICAXE... seems quite a bargain piece of surplus...

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
... seems quite a bargain piece of surplus...
Probably best to read some of the online reviews of the device first. I might be wrong but I suspect it may prove to be more frustrating than investment, like those flash memory based 'locked-down' Linux netbooks that could not be easily customised or added to and not a large enough user base to have figured out how to make it more useful or usable.