Hardware not seen,RS232,COM1, AXE022 proto board

domwild

Hi,

Old proto board, had 28X (PIC16F873A-1) installed and as there was a message re outdated PIC I installed a 28X2 (PIC 18F25K22) chip into this old proto board. First mistake??

Used old RS232 to stereo plug cable that came with this proto board. Windoze 7 claims the COM1 port is OK. Settings on the Windoze side are 4800,8,1,N. Is this what the board expects?? Manual does not give a clue what the settings should be.

Now it does not see the hardware. 28X2 was sold to me with two bent legs as if someone already had a good fiddle with it. I am aware of static electricity. Am using the battery pack that came with the proto board for power. Reads 4.76V.

Any suggestions apart from throwing it out?

Thanks.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
You can use either chip, all our software still supports the 28X (View>Options>Compiler in PE6)
PICAXE chips are very robust with regards to static, so static damage is very unlikely.
Download baud rate is automatic, there is nothing to set manually.

Make sure the jumpers J1, J2 and J3 are correct, see page 3 of
http://www.picaxe.com/docs/axe022.pdf

domwild

You can use either chip, all our software still supports the 28X (View>Options>Compiler in PE6)
PICAXE chips are very robust with regards to static, so static damage is very unlikely.
Download baud rate is automatic, there is nothing to set manually.

Make sure the jumpers J1, J2 and J3 are correct, see page 3 of
http://www.picaxe.com/docs/axe022.pdf
Thanks, Technical. The board worked under XP with the 28X installed, so I believe the jumper setting can be left as is. Yes, I mistook a message that the PIC is no longer supported as belonging to my old 28x, so I will press the old 28X back in again as a last desperate attempt.

domwild

Pin 1 has an indent at the left-hand side of the PIC, if I can read "PICAXE-40X" on the board and the PIC markings at the same time, then I hope I pressed the chip in correctly?