Happy New Year - 2009

For me it is a time to give thanks to the members of this forum. Through 2008 I benefited from the knowledge and willingness to share of many members.

THANK YOU GENTLEMEN​
and​

HAPPY NEW YEAR​

Andrés Rodríguez

Jon__

some people are lucky, its only 16:50 new years eve here, still got loads of time before new year! :)

Dippy

Happy New Year to all.

But I, for one, will not be looking at a PC at midnight .... I've got far better things to do.

Dippy

Right, time to change into my fancy dress.
I'm wearing a giant puffy anorak.
Not sure whether people will think I'm a nerd or a rapper.
Yeah, yeah... or something else... :)

Have a good day everyone. Don't wait up.

manuka

2009-bah!- where's the fun in such an analog year. Ponder instead such looming digital date permutations as 01:01:01 01/01/10, 10:10:10 10/10/10, or even 11:11:11 11/11/11

Last edited:

vk6bgn

.... after all, we strive for excellence here on the PICAXE forum. So, did everyone go around and adjust their clocks for the one extra "second" that was added to 2008 by the official time keepers?

I didn't, I just slept for an second on this fine 2009 morning. But now I feel some what out of sync with the space time continuum by 1 Hz. ;)

Happy PICAXEing in 2009.

"Hammy"

papaof2

No manual effort required for the leap second - I'll let the NIST-synced clock in the weather station take care of that for me.

John

Hooter

Temperature outside (Brisbane - Australia) is 38 Deg C and water in the pool is 30 Deg C. Beer is a hell of a lot colder than that I can tell you.
Happy New Year to all.
Hooter

eclectic

Temperature outside (Brisbane - Australia) is 38 Deg C and water in the pool is 30 Deg C. Beer is a hell of a lot colder than that I can tell you.
Happy New Year to all.
Hooter
Temperature here = -4 deg C
Pond = frozen over.
Coffee = lukewarm.

Am I miserable? Yeah.

Chappy New Year.

e

(Apologies for feeble word-play)

Andrew Cowan

Ditto

A

Edit: I wonder if the fireworks in London were / could have been conbtrolled by a PICAXE... (After all, this is a PICAXE forum...)

Andrew Cowan

My DS18B20 reads 132 C (London). I think I need to re-configure how it handles negative values...

A

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Happy MMIX

And there's a fun challenge for anyone with nothing to do on the rest of the first day of a new year; determining an algorithm to convert integers to Roman number format.

Not as easy as it sounds from many of the programs I've seen which claim to do it but don't and I recall the mighty Nicolas Wirth's example in the Pascal User Manual and Report was flawed !

You can cheat and find program which do it right but DIY from first principles I found to be more fun.

Note 499 is, CDXCIX, not ID. If you get ID you've missed a fundamental rule :)

papaof2

If you live in the right place, you can have most of a year's temperatures in a single month.

Our high for December was 72F (22C) and the low was 17F (-8C) with a windchill of 6F (-14C). The low of 17F came just 36 hours after a high of 68F - if you don't like the current Atlanta weather, just wait a couple of days ;-)

John

louisyuikin

Happy new year to all
this forum is a great learning experience

and by the way, its - (yes minus) -20 here in my location in Canada:D

LY

Dippy

Any of the Brits watch the Royal Institution Lectures?
Very interesting. Bill Gates sounded very nervous.

(I'm sure when they repeat it next year it will sound very dated :) )

According to my Ebay Weather Station it is -274oC outside.

alband

Only caught a bit of them. It is (supposed to be) possible to watch them on line but for some reason, it wont play on one computer at all and plays very slowly on my mother's laptop, this computer works though.

Andrew Cowan

Any of the Brits watch the Royal Institution Lectures?
Very interesting. Bill Gates sounded very nervous.
I saw the one today - I found some simple parts were overcomplicated (data encription) while some complex parts were over simplified (polarization).

According to my Ebay Weather Station it is -274oC outside.
Ebay weather station! Darn - you're being ironic. I got excited (then disapointed) last time you aksed someone if they were using one of the £5 ebay oscilloscopes...

A

westaust55

New Years Day temps in Perth WA

Happy new year to all
this forum is a great learning experience

and by the way, its - (yes minus) -20 here in my location in Canada:D

LY
For New Years day the temsp here was minimum of +19C at 6:30am upto a max of 36.0C at 3:30pm. Dipped to 21.7C at 7.00am and right now 30C at 10am as I return from a ride on my pushbike. Heading for 37C today . . .:)
Still not as bad as temps like 43C which we can get this time of year.

Last edited:

eclectic

Weeny, weedy weaky.

Happy MMIX

And there's a fun challenge for anyone with nothing to do on the rest of the first day of a new year; determining an algorithm to convert integers to Roman number format.

Not as easy as it sounds from many of the programs I've seen which claim to do it but don't and I recall the mighty Nicolas Wirth's example in the Pascal User Manual and Report was flawed !

You can cheat and find program which do it right but DIY from first principles I found to be more fun.

Note 499 is, CDXCIX, not ID. If you get ID you've missed a fundamental rule :)
@Hippy.
Thanks for the suggestion.
A splendid way of avoiding household tasks!
The program's still messy, but sort of works.

Eclecticus.

added 13.05.
315 bytes, including lots of
memory-gobbling sertxd/ for-next/ if-then.
Feasible to reduce to <255 bytes.

Attachments

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
You came, you saw, you conquered

@ eclectic : Glad you enjoyed it and you seem to have solved it.

[ Added : Looks like you were ahead of me while I was replying ... ] The second, more engineering, challenge is in getting the smallest code size while still being readable and understandable. I got it down from ~210 bytes ( 57 lines ) for a linear algorithm to ~160 bytes ( 50 lines ) using a subroutine on an 08M.

It's interesting to see how various algorithms stack up against each other in terms of code size, which mechanisms ( FOR-NEXT, DO-LOOP etc ) work out better.

Given an earlier discussion on PICAXE capacity in terms of lines of code, it is also interesting to look at how that equates to bytes per line; 3.68 and 3.2. With 256 bytes, that gives an equivalent line capacity of 70 and 80 - bang on the money in the optimised case, and not far off in the first.

Last edited: