Group pool to bulk purchase "USB 28X1 module"..?

Craftybytes

As referred to at this site - http://world-educational-services.ne...1&keyword=28X1 ..

Would there be any PICAXE'ers here in Australia interested in purchasing one or two (or more) of these "USB 28X1" module boards..?

Went onto 'World Education Services' website above and found that the shipping costs to Australia just for 1x 'module' is @ US$35.00 (AUS$39.32) - so a little on the expensive side after paying US$26.00 (AUS$29.22) for 1 x 'module' - total cost = AUS$68.55..!!

However if some of you Aussies wish to be involved in a "bulk" order (10 +) of these modules - maybe we can pitch in as a group for 10 (or more) and only pay the 1x 'shipping' charge..?

If interested - please post here asap - the current exchange rate is at AUS$0.89 to US$1.00 - so we need to get in before it starts going down further..!!

crafty.

Craftybytes

For other Aussie PICAXE'rs interested - I'm hoping that quite a few of us can pool in for the cost and do a "bulk" (group) purchase of these 'USB Picaxe' modules and only have to fork out for the 1x 'shipping' costs (e.g.. US$35.00 for 3 Kg package)..

If a go'er, I see the only extra cost will be for the Aussie 'postal' charge to each buyer from this main 'bulk' purchaser's location - hopefully no more than a $2.00 - $3.50 stamp or thereabouts..

Myself being on a basic 'pension' am however willing to do my bit - anybody else up for it..?

crafty.

BCJKiwi

Can't find any real detail on this.

Would someone please advise what the USB port actually handles.
Obviously the 5V is being supplied via USB - They say so.
There is also RX/TX and a jumper.

So how can the USB actually be used?

leftyretro

Can't find any real detail on this.

Would someone please advise what the USB port actually handles.
Obviously the 5V is being supplied via USB - They say so.
There is also RX/TX and a jumper.

So how can the USB actually be used?
If you look carefully at the picture of the module you can see that there is a SMD packaged chip next to the USB connector. I'm sure it's a USB/RS-232 emulater chip. So no comm port or down load cable should be needed, just the USB connection. Pretty cool module at a very fair price I feel.

Lefty

BCJKiwi

That was my initial assumption but then I wondered why the Rx TX is still there and what does the jumper do - started me wondering.
I don't understand why therre is no description of this device on the website. Seems a shame if the USB add on can only be used for download. But then maybe the jumper allows switching between download and regular serial via legs 6/7 .. Qs, Qs, Qs!

BrendanP

Just a courtesy heads up boys, I sent Advanced Micro Circuits Corp. $221.000 AU by paypal for 20 28X1's on 15th July. Paypal shows they took accepted my money on 15 July.

They haven't sent me my parts, their fax doesnt answer, they don't answer my emails and I just tried calling them and they don't answer their phone.

Previously I have bought things through them maybe a dozen times no problems.

Be carefull.

BCJKiwi

There is a small amount of additional info on the 18x board as follows;

"It is USB-powered, so you do not an external power supply, although it has a connector for an external power supply to enhance any external devices, such as motor drivers or servos."

So IF the 28X1 is the same then perhaps the jumper is for the alternate supply but there does not appear to be anywhere to connect the second supply.

Brendan, perhaps when your units arrive, you could post the details for us.

BCJKiwi

OK, Sorry , didn't read your post fully - jumped to the wrong conclusion!

Just find it inexplicable that WES should be promoting a new product and delivering no hard data on what it really does - or am I just over-complicating things? But then, I have been caught out before assuming the product does what other similar products do which is what you want it to do, only to find it really doesn't do what you expected!

Last edited:

Craftybytes

@BrendanP & BCJKiwi - thanks for the heads up..

I think I'll chase up some more 'explanative' info on these modules from WES before we go much further with any purchases - just to make sure we not getting any "not quite as expected" surprises..

Much appreciated..

crafty.

krypton_john

Just a courtesy heads up boys, I sent Advanced Micro Circuits Corp. $221.000 AU by paypal for 20 28X1's on 15th July. Paypal shows they took accepted my money on 15 July.

They haven't sent me my parts, their fax doesnt answer, they don't answer my emails and I just tried calling them and they don't answer their phone.

Previously I have bought things through them maybe a dozen times no problems.

Be carefull.
Brendan, isn't there some facility within PayPal to get your money back?

Mycroft2152

That was my initial assumption but then I wondered why the Rx TX is still there and what does the jumper do - started me wondering.
I don't understand why therre is no description of this device on the website. Seems a shame if the USB add on can only be used for download. But then maybe the jumper allows switching between download and regular serial via legs 6/7 .. Qs, Qs, Qs!
Based on the photo of the 18X board, the jumper seems to be to select either USB or an external RX/TX (serial).

There doesn't seem to be an external power connection, but this was design for breadboard use, not as an indepedant board. I don't think this was an an oversight because adding a couple of screw terminals would increase not only the pcb size and but also the overall cost.

Myc

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
They haven't sent me my parts, their fax doesnt answer, they don't answer my emails and I just tried calling them and they don't answer their phone. Previously I have bought things through them maybe a dozen times no problems.
It doesn't paint a very good picture does it. Whilst I cannot fairly comment having never dealt with them, the problems raised ( not the first time ) would make me extremely cautious of doing so and I'd probably go elsewhere. If you're going to get eBay or sub-eBay service you may as well go to eBay.

Just find it inexplicable that WES should be promoting a new product and delivering no hard data on what it really does - or am I just over-complicating things?
It's reasonable to know what a module does or one can end up making an expensive mistake. Not so bad if it's not as expected and a return and refund is easy to get but oversea's shipping often means having to suck that up as an expensive lesson learned.

I nearly bought an expensive DIP module with USB on it which I thought worked differently to how it did. That used the USB interface to generate the clock for a micro and so wouldn't work unless the module was connected via USB and enumerated and the clock itself was far less than crystal accurate. It looked good, but entirely useless for what I needed.

There doesn't seem to be an external power connection, but this was design for breadboard use, not as an indepedant board.
I'd expect the option to be power via USB and the module's +V pin is an output, or disconnect the VUSB jumper and power in through the module's +V.

By reworking the VUSB jumper circuit with a diode and another from the module's +V it may be possible to have it powered by USB or from the circuit with no problems if both are used together, with the VUSB jumper used to allow a circuit to be powered from USB.

That most manufacturers never seem to design for such cases and require hacking boards is an oversight at best in my book, a rush to get a product out without properly thinking about how to maximise its usefulness or their profits. Often it's just a case of providing PTH connections, sometimes pinch-tracks which can be easily cut, and letting those who want something to add it themselves. Product design is far more than just knocking up a PCB.

Last edited:

BrendanP

I'm very dissapointed with them, they haven't answered my emails and I called and left a message on their answering machine and they havent responded. There is no need for this.

BrendanP

I opened a dispute claim with paypal and then recieved a email from WES apologising for the delay in delivering the parts. Email below.

Dear Brendan

This one fell through the cracks. In addition, we have not received any of
your previous communications, except your phone call today. We will ship
your order first thing tomorrow morning. We humbly apologize for this
delay. It will not happen again.

Andrew

I also emailed HVW and recieved a response within a few hours. Email below

Dear Brendan,

Thank you for contacting us with your question. We can certainly ship PICAXE product to Australia. You can actually create a shipping estimate online at www.hvwtech.com buy adding product to your shopping cart and then using the "Get Shipping Quote" button. This will calculate your shipping options based on the product in your shopping cart.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
Rebecca Bouwsema
Sales Manager
HVW Technologies
Ph: 1-888-448-9832
Email: sales@hvwtech.com

Craftybytes

Just to bring everyone up to date - sent a message to WES website 13/08/08 - re these Picaxe USB 28X1 module boards - asking for 'data/specifications' info to be forwarded - no response to date..

Sent another message again today 14/08/08 - requesting info..

Here's hoping they reply soon - the present exchange rate has now dropped further putting another AUS$1.00 + onto the unit price for these items (yesterday @ AUS$29.36 ea - to - today @ AUS$30.58) - starting to look slightly unattractive..

I wonder if the people at WES really care about such potential sales to overseas markets - seems to be the case going on current non-responsiveness from them to date..

Will keep you all informed with any developments..

crafty.

BrendanP

G'day Crafty, I suggest you give WES a quick telephone call if you really want to get the devices, otherwise email the Canadian mob with a link to the WES part, they'll come up with something similar/better pretty fast I imagine.

(I told WES in my paypal claim I'd call the local FBI field office in Maryland and make a wire fraud complaint if I didnt get the situation sorted, maybe thats why they got back to me.............)

Last edited:

Craftybytes

OK - finally recieved the 'data' info from Advanced Micro (WES) for the "USB 28X1 module" boards - have attached as a .pdf file (775.4 KB)..!!

So for those Aussies still interested in doing this 'group' purchase - post here please..!

Hopefully the exchange rate does not drop too much lower to make this unviable WRT unit costs & shipping..

crafty.

Attachments

Craftybytes

OK - currently there are three of us (including myself) who placed orders - would like one more person into the pool to make it viable - any other Aussie Picaxe user interested..?

Current pricing:
..................................*AUS$*...........*Ordered*
USB 28X1 module.. @ AUS$31.00..........(8)
28X1 chip.............. @ AUS$11.82..........(8)
I2C RTC module..... @ AUS$16.55..........(5)
I2C 16 i/o module... @ AUS$18.92.........(5)
256KB eeprom....... @ AUS$ 2.25..........(10)
Nano USB Adapt.... @ AUS$20.10..........(4)
DS1307 RTC chip...@ AUS$ 4.14...........(5)
14M chip................ @ AUS$ 4.55...........(5)

Shipping (up to 3KG) @ AUS$41.40

If you be interested - will have ~2x USB 28X1 modules available plus some of the other items - so please advise within the next few days if you want them..

NOTE: For each person - you pay the Australia Post postage costs (for postage from me to you) - PLUS your share of the 'shipping' charge (~$8.50) - PLUS a small admin fee of $3.00 (per order)..!!

Please let me know asap..

crafty.

Last edited:

BrendanP

I have resolved the problems I had with WES/AMC that I refered to above. I think they must have a lot of problems with spam, poor filtering etc.

Craftybytes

Ok.

Finally received the items from the US - 18 days to deliver - sheesh..

@skyv -

Please email me your details - tried the 'email' address you previously sent me - "mail delivery error" - so can't post the items you requested till I get updated details..

TIA..

crafty.