Graphics Module

russbow

I got this little gizmo from *bay for under £2. Is it usable in a project, (if it is, I will invent a project for it !). But of course being only a couple of levels above flashing a led - I can use LCDs - I don't have the foggiest. Does it bear any resemblance to the standard systems I read about on here? Or should I just pop it in the drawer for another year or so?

Attachments

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
It's a graphics display rather than text display, so you'll have to do the work of converting characters to pixels, and the module requires two E strobes rather than the usual one. It should be easy enough to interface and utilise but it does seem to require a negative LCD constrat voltage which complicates things, though tied to 0V may work.

Should be an interesting project to work on but you'll have to put in some commitment to understanding the datasheet and some frustration when what should happen doesn't until you eventually get the code working. I'd not use less than an 18X unless it were just to prove you could turn a pixel, line or block on and off.

westaust55

I created a thread: http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10014
Which holds information from when I first started using a gLCD module from a Siemens A55 mobile phone.

You will need to work out your specific initialisation requirements from the Falcon datasheet. Does look similar to the mobile phone control however.

The code I used for for presenting text, lines, circles etc could be ported to your gLCD module.

With a 102 x 64 resolution display and a 40X1 at 8MHz took around 2 seconds to refresh the entire screen with a serial data line.

As your display has only 32 lines of pixels and a parallel data interface, you could get the refresh time down to around 1/8th (0.125) seconds.

Svejk

Although the instruction set is a little bit different from KS0108 it can be driven in a similar fashion. You'll need a minimum 12 pin to be able to drive it, maybe one for serial input. A 20x2 would be a perfect candidate.