GPS Modes

Graham O

Hello,
I have a Locsense LS40-EB GPS module, the "official" picaxe one, and I'm trying to make sense of the different data output modes. I've read the datasheet, but can't find anything about setting the module to a particular mode. Other threads have revealed:

'Use the qualifier "$GPGGA" to input the GGA NMEA sentence. Use the variable b0 as a
'dummy for all the characters we don't want NB, including commas'
serin0, T4800, ("$GPGGA"),b0,b1,b2,b3,b4,b5,b6,b7,b8,b9,b10

Excuse my ignorance, but does this mean that it recognises the $GPGGA data and only reads that? I hope so. Everything else is understandable.

Graham O

Excellent. Thanks for the quick response. Now that I've finally got my gps working on the connect board, I can get on with the Picaxe software. I dare say I'll be back on with more questions.

Thanks for your help.

MPep

Also there have been 2 other NMEA questions just now that you might want to read into.

Using the qualifier means that you can filter out just the sentence(s) that you want and happily ignore the rest. :D Certainly makes life easy!

MartinM57

I'd recommend using the best (and fastest) PICAXE you can afford whilst investigating - a 28X2 with an external resonator.

Loads of speed, memory etc - just right for manipulating all that NMEA stuff...

Graham O

I'd recommend using the best (and fastest) PICAXE you can afford whilst investigating - a 28X2 with an external resonator.

Loads of speed, memory etc - just right for manipulating all that NMEA stuff...
I'll be using a spare 40X left over from another project. It's probably bigger than I need, but it does have plenty of spare functions and i/o.

I've recently come back to Picaxe projects and the X2 chips are all new. Must read up on them and see what they can do.

Thanks.

BeanieBots

As Martin suggests, the 28X2 would be your best bet with its background serial, scratchpad and pointers. Ideal for NMEA stuff. Have a read of the link posted by Andrew.