GPS Data sheet

Graham O

Hello,
There is a reference to a GPS datasheet, AXE210_GPS.pdf, on the Picaxe Connect board pages, but the link does not exist. Is the datasheet available or is it still being produced?
Thanks for your help,
Graham

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Welcome to the PICAXE Forum.

I don't believe the datasheet currently exists. It should be a simple matter of reading the incoming GPS data, parsing it, and passing it on to a display or PC. Thus it's mainly an issue of getting SERIN to work with appropriate qualifiers and capturing the right data. There are a number of projects which have involved GPS use so a Forum Search ( towards top of page ) will return information on those projects.

Graham O

Hello Hippy and thanks for your help. I've been looking at the various forum posts and hopefully will have the hardware working this evening. I was just after the datasheet since there was a reference to it.
The project is to build a high altitude balloon and radio back GPS data, but in a readily readable form for other listeners to receive.

Pauldesign

Hi

Luckily this thread came up as i've also been searching for that AXE210_GPS tutorial because just looking at GPS receiver data sheets with little GPS background sounds like interpreting hieroglyphics.

Can someone be so kind to please upload a copy of the AXE210_GPS tutorial, because if implementing it was that simple as it seems, then the shouldn't have been this forum or any tutorials in the first place.

Maybe after going through the tutorial i can also say, it is very simple!:)

Rgds

atharvai

there are a couple of documents on techsupplies which tell u the syntax of the string output from GPS which can be read into multiple variables for use.

i remember there being an old thread on GPS use, have a search around in the archives maybe. but if u have any specific questions fire away!

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
As atharvai says, if people have particular GPS queries we, and often others, will do our best to offer advice and give answers when we can to questions posted on the forum.

Graham O

Pauldesign,
As the originator of the thread, I'm in the same boat as you, but reading the datasheet for the GPS and searching for GPS/NMEA/Parsing etc produces snippets of code and an explanation of what is happening. I have the "official" gps unit and a connect card which is now talking via the MAX232 chip to an external PC, so the next step is to put the Picaxe chip and write some software. As soon as I get anywhere, I'll post it here.

MPep

@both Graham and Paul,

Please remember that most GPSs use NMEA as the data transport mechanism. Do a search on NMEA and you should find plenty of posts.

In the Finished Projects, User Projects - Communications section, 2nd page there is a post of mine titled "NMEA HDG --> HDT conversion". In it you can see how I have read the NMEA string coming in, and then converting before sending out again.

Hope this helps somewhat. Anything specific, please ask, as there is a mine of knowledge awaiting someone to help :).

MPep.