GPS Data Rate

Graham O

I'm using the official picaxe GPS module, the Locsense LS40EB which according to the manual comes at a default output setting of 4800 baud, but mine seems to be at 9600 baud, according to the Picaxe terminal settings. Is there a way of resetting it to 4800 baud?

Hardware: 40X chip and a 4MHz resonator.

Serin speed of 9600 baud not allowed with this hardware according to the manual.

inglewoodpete

There are a couple of options:
1. Change the resonator on the 40X to 8MHz (or even 16MHz). At 8MHz, the 40X can have a maximum data transfer rate of 9600 baud.
2. Replace the 40X with a 40x1 or 40x2. With hSerial background receive, these chips offer a much more flexible solution for serial comms.

MartinM57

... according to the manual comes at a default output setting of 4800 baud, but mine seems to be at 9600 baud, according to the Picaxe terminal settings. Is there a way of resetting it to 4800 baud?
Is this behaviour from brand new out of the box? I'm very surprised if it arrived at anything other than 4800.

How are you using "the PICAXE terminal" to determine that it is 9600. Why do you say "seems to be"...are you unsure yourself?

Graham O

I'm only unsure in the sense that the manual states 4800 while two terminal programs both require 9600 to correctly display GPS output via a MAX232 chip. The GPS module is brand new and I have 2 which both exhibit the same behaviour.

I've now replaced the 4MHz resonator with an 8 MHz crystal and the 40X chip is now outputting data at 9600 baud. The only problem now is to get the chip to recognise the incoming GPS data.