GPS Based Regional TimeZone clock

hamtech

GPS Based Time Zone Clock

I have described a MSF based TimeZone clock and posted it in the finished projects section. The only bugbear with the project was that on occasion MSF tranmitters are maintained and

the signal is lost. I did note spurious info fed to the clock chip. Once the transmitters were reactivated all came good.

This project differs in that the clock time source is using the GPS system using an EM406A GPS rx and a 40 Character 4 line LCD display.

In this project 8 city names and time are displayed on the screen all the time. I have also made a display the NMEA 'RMC' message (time in UTC day and date) as a display choice,

this is done by reading a switch value 5v or 0v.

The time is written to and read from a DS1307 using I2C and uses a 20X2 for the GPS decoding and time zone clock - the 18M2 is just using modified serial to parallel code from the

AX033 chips to drive the 4 x 40 char display.

This works well and has been in use for six months or more now without any problem. A stable power supply and good decoupling are as usual beneficial.

It is fairly easy to change the code for different cities , if you do change names you may need to play with the display locations.

Use 'Open with Program Editor' to see the code. It is too long to display otherwise.

Hamtech

Attachments

Last edited: