Good works

Dippy

Who are you calling a "larger member"?

Looks interesting and could be expanded to make something quite good.

I think i would build in a front-door camera and also machine guns to deal with Trick-or-Treaters.

moxhamj

24/7 surveillance on grandma?!

I see one minor problem though. Unfortunately, one of the features of Alzheimers is paranoia. A genuine fear that the pills the doctor is giving you are controlling your life, that you are being watched...

Another feature is aggression.

Technology has its uses, but sometimes a kind word and a human touch are better.

It could be a useful system but I'd be telling the person you are installing it. And in the case of Alzheimers, telling them again the next day.

Dippy

A) You don't tell Grandma what it is
B) Even if you did, she'll have forgotten about it 5 minutes later
C) Disguise it as a photo of great-nephew Bobby.
D) Not a flower pot or she'll water the telly.

Come on Doc, use your imag :)

Kind words and human touches are great.... but hey, what happens if granny lives 500 miles away and, hey, you've gone on a Doctor's conference for 3 days.

moxhamj

LOL I am using my imagination. I'm sitting on a beach somewhere in the South of France. Cocktail by my side. Bond Girls by my side ... oops sorry scratch that, my wife is watching. Ok, gorgeous wife by my side. Laptop open, and I've just logged in and I can see Grandma has just discovered a secret webcam...

Michael 2727

How would you explain to Granny, why the TV knows she has left the front
door open or that she has forgotten to turn the Heating on.
She'd be looking inside it for the dude hiding in there and spying on her ;)
Prolly ask you where is the keypad on the Remote is so she can type back to the telly, lol.

MFB

I am not sure about the full-blown system describe in the article but some of the features might be worthwhile. Sending an alarm text when room temperature falls or an unusually low level of activity (I was going to say ‘motion’ be decided against it) is detected might be a good starting point. Btw, I would like to point out that I am not a Daily Mail reader!

BeanieBots

How about using the "technology" for things such as a thermostat so that the temperature DOESN'T fall below critical, and/or a door which closes and locks itself just like my car does.

manuka

Almost anything in the "Daily Mail" can be taken with a grain of salt- including their "page 3 girl".

I live in a diverse NZ community with significant numbers of sprightly 90-100 yos. (all credit to their Kiwi lifestyle) still living alone ,& certainly recognise their need for discrete monitoring. But rather than hi tech it's often the personal caring touch that they most appreciate,with companionship at meal times often high on the needs list. It's what's in their fridge that is often crucial too. Even an animal can work wonders- most cats/dogs quickly alert to a deleted fridge!

And speaking of OAPs-of which I'm thankfully far from being declared - has anyone run across a "Rest Home" that's installed an internet connected PC for residents ,perhaps to be assisted to use? It drives me crazy to visit facilities where a room full of oldies have been yet again wheeled in front of mindless TV programs. Skype or of emailed .jpgs could be far more rewarding to both them & distant relatives/friends. Historical good old days material is often particularly appreciated too. I introduced a nearby 83 yo.(he's now 90) to the web in 2001, & he's subsequently become as nimble a user (& poster) as the likes of Dippy. Maybe he IS Dippy...

Jeremy Leach

(Manuka ...your comment about skype for OAPs is exactly what I've been thinking recently, having been looking at homes for a relative. Surprising no-one has cashed in on the idea yet and developed a stripped down PC with basic buttons.....I've researched on the net before and can't find anyone offering a simple solution suitable for the elderly.)

Last edited:

Dippy

Blimey, I've been sussed.
I'm old, use Skype and watch mindless TV Programmes.

Well, there are oldies and oldies aren't there.
Some are pretty chipper and some would simply inject dribble and tea into the keyboard.
I know of quite a few mature users (over 80) who use their PC to get supermarket deliveries and a great-Aunt who bought me a pair of gloves for Christmas over tinternet (no, not from Ebay).

I used to visit someone in a Care Home for 2 years so I have 'experienced' the goings-on.
At that particular place (£700 per week fees) I doubt if many/any could have handled a PC and, yes, they had to suffer tedious TV or endless boredom. Most preferred a chat. But I daresay in some places it could provide entertainment and a means to talk to rellies.
Maybe some places do have it?

Right, I'd better go... the men in white coats are looking for me.

PS. Stan, I think looking at those page 3 girls has affected you ... it's traditionally "The Sun" which does that ... apparently... so I've been told... I wouldn't know :)

PPS. Jeremy, OT but get the Inspector's Reports on any Homes you are looking at. And when you are having a look around don't be shy about asking visitors and inmates what they think - but out of the gaze of the Guards. I've seen some horrible places, but got used to the smells after a while ;)
And check out the small print re: fees and additional costs.
And remember that private 'service users' susidise the inmates paid for by the State.

manuka

Jeremy: With global video link ups now so seamless, it's indeed often better than being there. Suggest we roll something out fast track before the Chinese latch onto the niche. As you are in the Midlands, perhaps Dippy can even be our Southern UK rep - at a suitable franchise fee of course.