Getting started

nabenham

Hi,
I'm new to picaxe and this forum. I am hoping I could get some advise to get started, i.e. circuit board and programming. Also the best store for purchases in Australia. Thought a small lighting display first, with a musical tune. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

westaust55

Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

To write some programs to flash an LED and understand the PICAXE programming I suggest that you look at PICAXE Manual 1 Tutorials and PICAXE Manual 2 for the programming language.
See here: http://www.picaxe.com/Getting-Started/PICAXE-Manuals/

On this Rev Ed/PICAXE web page you will find distributors for PICAXE hardware in Australia: http://www.picaxe.com/Distributors

In addition you can look at:
1. Jaycar – modules for Arduino that can work with PICAXE
2. Futurlec – www.futurlec.com.au for low cost general components
3. Littlebird Electronics – for components and modules ostensibly for other microcontrollers that can work with PICAXE – They are also “agent” for Sparkfun

stevesmythe

I found the 18M Project Board and associated manual a great way to get started although you do need to be able to do a bit of soldering to use it. For example if you wanted to connect an external LED and piezo sounder. A cheaper option would be the 08M Proto Board but there's even more soldering needed (although it could be a good way to get started).

jims

Welcome nabenham... I tend to be conservative in my approach to developing projects, and I've found that the Picaxe AXE091 Development Board (along with a few Picaxe processor chips) and the Picaxe AXE133Y serial OLED give me a solid base to quickly set-up and try "ideas" before committing them to a Proto board, etc. I can easily copy and paste a program from the FORUM into a processor ; learn how it works, and adapt it if/as necessary for my needs. This has helped me. Jims

manuka

Nabenham: Welcome mate - best FIRST tell us a little of your e-skills,resources,time & budget. You can get PICAXEing for small change if motivated! The official Aus. PICAXE agent is Wiltronics

Solderless breadboards have enormous merits- I've penned many such a PICAXE article in "Silicon Chip" over the years. Perhaps check Andrew's PICAXE Picasa pages for "smell of an oily electron" ideas. Stan

nabenham

Thanks manuka,stevesmythe and westaust55, I have had some limited experience soldering and working with Electronics as I worked as a teacher in a Technology Dept. I taught other subjects but I would watch another teacher who taught electronics and hope to learn new skills. I started soldering on a uni board but not having done any of that for a few years now I have forgotten most learn't. So thank you very much for all the advise and I will research all the information you people have offered.

inglewoodpete

I started out in PICAXE with the "Schools Experimenter" board. It is a self-contained board with 08M2, 3 coloured LEDs and a small piezo speaker. It also has expansion strip so that you can interface to other devices etc. The documentation can be found here. These can be purchased from Wiltronics and Altronics in Australia.

SAborn

Where are you located in this wide country called Australia, as im in Adelaide and could offer some one on one help if you are local to me, im sure the same might apply with other forum members if your profile told us where you were actually located.

Then the forum is world wide so help is always available regardless of your location, so up to you what you would like help with in what way, although a more dedicated location in your profile can often help.

nabenham

Hi SAborn, thankyou so much for your generous offer. I would have accepted your offer quickly but I'm living in Melbourne.

manuka

Nabenham: Unless you've an old serial D9 fitted PC to run the editor, you'll need a USB-serial programming cable. Rev. Ed's AXE027 is quite costly (US$20 -$30 range) at NZ/Oz outlets,but the cheapie blue "GENUINE" ones pictured work well. These abounded ~3 years back, but may no longer be so widely available in Australia?

We've still good "Trademe" supplies here in NZ however at ~US$3 each - over the years I've bought crates of them from "JerryScience" for NZ educational use. Aside from being a near order of magnitude cheaper, their distinctive blue colour makes for productivity gains in a typical schools cable "snakes pit" ...

Stan.

Attachments

Last edited: