Free Picaxe oscilloscope, anyone?

womai

Hello all,

as some may already be aware of, I have a new scope design (not Picaxe based this time) which can more than replace the Picaxe scope - smaller, faster, higher performance, easier to build, lower cost, etc. (who said you can't get all of these at the same time ;)). Anybody interested - look at http://www.dpscope.com. This has been taking most of my spare time so not much possibility to do further work on the Picaxe scope. That said, there is still some strong Picaxe relationship, since the frontend of the new scope is just an improved Picaxe scope frontend, the PC software is an improved Picaxe scope software, and above all, I would have never done the new one had I not had the possibility to learn the ropes with the Picaxe!

But that's not the real reason for my post. I still have a small stack of printed circuit boards for the Picaxe scope and think it would be a pity to let them gather dust in a corner. So if you want one, I am giving them away to anybody interested for as long as I have some left (in the spirit of full disclosure, you need to pay shipping). You can get them from the Picaxe oscilloscope website. You will need to procure the other components yourself (component list is on the website, and I'll gladly help in case you have questions) - which should please Rev-Ed since that includes a Picaxe 28X2, a resonator, and a download cable.

Wolfgang

lanternfish

Hi womai

Just ordered a board. Can you supply a link to the 28X1 program as it does not appear on the website.

Thanks

mega

Yep, just did the Paypal thing, also did the dpscope too, I have a spare 28X2 that would really like the board, it will be a good gift for my Brother, the dpscope for me though.

Thanks

papaof2

I also ordered the board.

The "little" scope will be much easier to move around than the 4 channel Tektronix ;-) This scope can be dropped into the bag with a laptop so you can have a scope when in the field (something that may be part of a current project).

The bandwidth of the PICAXE scope is adequate for most PICAXE testing:
Is there a serial/SPI/I2C/servo signal?
Is that input/output pin changing state?
Is the level on that digital/ADC input in range?
Are there spikes on the power leads?

The later modifications of the PICAXE scope (all available on the site) change the input impedance to match standard scope probes.

I'm a big fan of surplus sales, including electronics on Craig's List. That's where I found the Tek 2247 when a local company closed their R&D lab. It was a bargain at $100US - the current Ebay price is still several times that...

John

HAZELEB

Hi Wolfgang,

I have ordered the pcb and have managed to source all of the components in the UK except the sram CY7C128A, If you have 2 of them left can I perches them from you? If not can you suggest an alternative I can source in the UK.

Kind Regards

Ted.

womai

Hello Ted,

unfortunately those SRAMs are parts that I no longer have spares for.

That said, I had a few people reporting that they got them from Cypress directly as free samples, sent as far as New Zealand and Australia. You may want to try your luck with them.

Other than that, just look for any 2Kx8, ~100ns or faster static RAM (SRAM) in a 24-pin DIP package; I'd expect that the pin assignment will be the same (but always double-check!). Be careful, I noticed that many of those 24-pin DIP SRAMs are actually 600mil wide, while the one I used is a space-saving 300-mil wide package.

Wolfgang

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Be careful, I noticed that many of those 24-pin DIP SRAMs are actually 600mil wide, while the one I used is a space-saving 300-mil wide package.
When stuck in that situation, if you can find a long-legged, wire-wrap socket, the legs can perhaps be bent to fit a 0.3" board and take 0.6" chips. Or use a bit of vero-board to build a mezzanine to take the larger parts.

HAZELEB

Hi Wolfgang

Have just found the cy7c128a`s on ebay, It’s the first time that I have used ebay so keeping my fingers crossed they arrive. Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards.

Ted.

HAZELEB

Hi Wolfgang’

Have tried to install the firmware version v1.3 into 28x1 and 28x2 but I keep-getting Error: Syntax error in this line! pwmout FAST_CLK_PWM_CHAN off. I’m using the latest PE. Have tried the Firmware.bas from your site and Rev-Ed Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Ted.

Edit Have just realised a comma is missing after the CHAN, off
It now downloads.

Ted.

Last edited:

John West

I was told that Wolfgang's published code was written before the Editor's syntax checker became so thorough.

I'll be building up my own scope shortly as well.

Thanks again to Wolfgang.

John