Forum Users Manual ??

Hydroid

Hi,

Just wondering if there's a manual on the use of this forum....

At the bottom right of every message, there's three orange boxes:
QUOTE - which I know quotes the message for a reply
OFF " - which when I hover the mouse overtop says "multi quote this message', and the third looks like an inverted triangle which says "quick reply to this message" when hovering the mouse.

The triangle appears to quote the message like the 'QUOTE' does. The second one I notice turns to ON " if I click it, but I'm not sure what it does.

I've had a look in the FAQ - Picaxe Forum FAQ, but didn't see info on these.

John.

Last edited:

Andrew Cowan

Quote should open a new reply window, with that message quoted. Multi quote can be turned on for as many posts as you want - then press quote on one, and a reply window opens with all the messages quoted. Quick reply opens the reply box in the box at the bottom of the page, and you can then type a reply.

A

inglewoodpete

Quick Reply seems to interact with some versions of Internet Explorer, resulting in the "Quote" option appearing. It does that on my IE8/XP Home PC (at home).

It works properly on this PC where I work (IE7/XP Professional).

westaust55

VBulletin forum manual

The PICAXE forum (and many others use a program sold by VBulletin – you might even see the “Powered by VBulletin” message.

Rev Ed and other hosts of these VBulletin powered forums can then set up a huge number of options which allow users to use various options available within the VBulletin software.

Rev Ed would have to write a manual specific to each and every setting they have made in the forum database software.

For example on BBcodes alone :
Here is list of BBcodes as allowed by Rev Ed, see here:
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/misc.php?do=bbcode

And here is the total set of BBcodes from which Rev Ed have made selections:
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

If you look in the bottom left corner of the active forum screen you will see "Posting Rules" (expand if necessary)
You will see:
vB code is On
Smilies are On
code is On
HTML code is Off
Click on the [B][I]vB code[/I][/B], [B][I]Smiles[/I][/B], and [B][I]IMG[/I][/B] links and you are presented with a list of what Rev Ed has activated here.

Certainly there are also a lot of icons across the post of the post window to add an attachment, put BBcode quote tags around entered text, and many more. Move your curson over them for an idea of what they do and experient.

Worst you can have to do is delete a post or edit it. There is the sandbox at the bottom of the main forum window for you to "play" in

Last edited:

Hydroid

Thanks !

Quote should open a new reply window, with that message quoted. Multi quote can be turned on for as many posts as you want - then press quote on one, and a reply window opens with all the messages quoted. Quick reply opens the reply box in the box at the bottom of the page, and you can then type a reply. A
Quick Reply seems to interact with some versions of Internet Explorer, resulting in the "Quote" option appearing. It does that on my IE8/XP Home PC (at home).
If you look in the bottom left corner of the active forum screen you will see "Posting Rules" (expand if necessary)
You will see:
vB code is On
Smilies are On
code is On
HTML code is Off
Click on the [B][I]vB code[/I][/B], [B][I]Smiles[/I][/B], and [B][I]IMG[/I][/B] links and you are presented with a list of what Rev Ed has activated here.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys. That clears it up. Going to the sandbox to experiment ;)

Regards, John.