Floating serin

rinthesun

I have a completed project and my PCB has a floating serin since I am not using the download circuit. My PCB has a three pin connect for download, but the download circuit is on the end of my cable not on the board. I know that the Picaxe chip keep scanning the serin for a new download. For the final product it would be useful to turn this off or only scan after a reset but I see no keyword to do this. If I use a 10K pulldown on serin will this interfere with the download circuit when the cable is in place.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
new download. For the final product it would be useful to turn this off or only scan after a reset but I see no keyword to do this.
A keyword is not any help as the program wouldn't even start running.

If I use a 10K pulldown on serin will this interfere with the download circuit when the cable is in place.
Yes, a 10k would interfere, could hold the pin permanently low depending on the serial signal strength. A weak pull down, e.g. 100k, may work, but the recommended solution is to simply put the correct resistors on the PCB to start with - you have to add one regardless, so why not add the second anyway!