Float Point in the New Picaxe

phoenix70

Hello, guys, I need know if the new picaxe 28x2, 40x2, supported float point or function trigonometric or variables long, that the Basic ATOM the support, and have more memory or I am Wrong ? please tell me I need float point in my proyects

BeanieBots

No floating point maths.
There is a co-processor that will do it via the I2C though.
[/]
http://www.micromegacorp.com/picaxe.html

The 28X1/2 does support limited trig. Have a look at page 90 of the manual under the heading LET.

Edited by - beaniebots on 02/05/2007 19:28:53

I've been using the uM-FPU to do GPS related trig, email me at mkb@libero.it if you want the relevant routines (the idea is to send data to the FPU in a burst, have it do all the calculations, retrieve the data in another burst, and in the meantime the picaxe can do something else)

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Floating point algorithms are not that difficult once the basics are grasped and the 28X1 should have the code space and storage necessary to handle floating point maths and trig.

Coupled with the 28X1 being usable as an I2C Slave it should be possible to create a homebrew uM-FPU equivalent or tailored to a specific project.

An ideal project for someone more interested in software than hardware, and the code should be easily ported to 28X2 which can run at up to 32MHz without a crystal for extra speed.

Jeremy Leach

I have been thinking exactly the same Hippy, and might dust off ones I did a while ago and revamp them with the 28X1 capabilites.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I refrained from, "Something Jeremy might be interested in", but I think you'd be an ideal candidate to try it. And there's no better way to get an in-depth feel for a new PICAXE than getting a real life project working.

phoenix70

when, ours have the new software 5.10 in the page ?, today I to call for the new picaxe in venezuela , and is here in 30-45 days