Flight Simulator Interface HELP

ansett727rma

Hi,
I am a beginner to Microcontrollers, but like the look of the PICAXE approach. I would like to develop an interface for a radio stack and autopilot for Microsoft Flight Simulator (FSX). I would asuume that I would use a serial or USB i/o to the picaxe to read/write FSX variables via FSUIPC. I would like to use LCD character displays for Radio frequencies and Autopilot Settings.

1. Has anyone developed a similiar system previously
2. How would FSUIPC variables be written to and from the pICAXE
3. I would like to use at least 4 individual LCD displays (4x20 or 2x40 character). Are Serial or Parallel displays better?
4. Can inputs/outputs of PICAXE be "multiplexed" to provide more switch inputs, more outputs for LED indicators, 7 seg LED arrays, etc.
5. Can "Grey" encoders (quadrature) be connected as "up/down" switches for radio frequency change etc.

Any help would be appreciated

THANK YOU

alband

I fear you may suspect this kind of answer:

1. Not that I know of.
2. Hours at a time. You would either need to edit you flight sim to send the variables or create another program. The first of which would be impossible and the second of which would end up being very crude and even when run at the highest speed, would be too slow. It would also clog up the RAM and probably overload your PC.
3. Serial are easier to connect. I've never had any reason to try parallel as there is mm=ore connections to make. There may however be a reason I've overlooked.
4. I think so. Someone else will know lots about this I sure...
5. Sorry, don't know.

It would be very fun to pull of and I can see the attraction of making your own auto-pilot, but it is something that would have to be done in the PC (preferably in the flight sim to avoid having another program open) not through a wire to a PICAXE.
Even so, if your not familiar with it, look up Visual Basic 6.
Good Luck...:)

pssmith

1. Has anyone developed a similiar system previously
[/quote]
Probably not with a PicAxe.
2. How would FSUIPC variables be written to and from the pICAXE
You would need to get hold of the SDK for FS. You could then use the serial port to send info to the Axe driven displays.
3. I would like to use at least 4 individual LCD displays (4x20 or 2x40 character). Are Serial or Parallel displays better?
Serial for PicAxe, IMO.
4. Can inputs/outputs of PICAXE be "multiplexed" to provide more switch inputs, more outputs for LED indicators, 7 seg LED arrays, etc.
To some degree. You can always use multiple chips and have them communicate with a central controller (another PicAxe).
5. Can "Grey" encoders (quadrature) be connected as "up/down" switches for radio frequency change etc.
I don't see why not. The hardware will interface with the chip so it's a software problem.
One 'simple' idea might be to try and hijack the keyboard. Pass through keypresses and additionally generate the correct keypress data when the various custom controls are activated. You will however still need the SDK and some separate comms for external readouts, at which point feeding in changes via the same comm link and an SDK built component probably becomes easier.

Rickharris

Depending on your experience and ability it may well be easier to develop a picaxe driven physical interface through a keyboard.

Remember that the keyboard is just a big set of switches and they already interface into FSX all you have to do is activate the right key sequence at the right time.

Several people have produced home grown filght sims - some with motion platforms a search of the web will give much information.

Last edited:

boriz

Quadrature is a breeze. I have a hacked mouse wheel (quadrature rotary encoder) working well with a 14M. See: http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=80547&postcount=10

As for the other questions, it depends on how FSUIPC works. IDK. But in theory, everything you want is probably achievable using Picaxe. Even if you just hack into the keyboard and solder wires directly to the switch contacts. The above routine can be easily adapted to send + and – keystrokes for controlling radio frequencies/AP altitude and such.

I enjoy FSX myself. Even made a head tracker. I had a similar idea about a ‘real’ instrument display but didn’t follow through. Best of luck. I’ll help any way I can.

westaust55

There have been some references on this forum to using the PICAXE as part of Flight Simulator controls.
As Rick says, a search on "Flight Simulator" found some such as as:
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5185

Same member was working on a simulated "dashboard" as well form memory.
Try other word combinations as well. Think of what other words other people might use for the same type of project.

I recall more recent threads (say in last 3 months and think quite recent" but did not quickly find on search. They have been used as part of Yoke controls etc.

That said, do not recall any specifically involving wireless comms.

Not sure exactly what you are trying to achieve when you say multiplexing.
It is certainly possible to set up a matrix of keys as rows and columns and some program code to identify whihc key is pressed.
This way 16 keys in a 4 x 4 matrix will use 8 IO. an 8 x 8 matrfix will use 16 IO.
I have used 3 x 16-key keypads as a 48 key keypad with a E-Labs EDE1188 decoder chip. That chip can handle up to 64 keys and gives a serial output with a value from 0 to 63 indicating which key was pressed plus an interrupt/valid data signal.

A cheaper keypad encoder can be set up which involves less program scanning using a few 74HC series chips. 74HC922 or 923 and 74HC165 in combination is an examples. Look at the datasheets.

Last edited: