Faulty old Pickaxe chips?

Tyro

Is there a maximum storage time for Picaxe micros? In January 2008, I bought ten 08Ms. Since then I have successfully programmed and reprogrammed five of them a number of times. The other five have never been touched; they were still pushed into the black conductive foam they arrived in. They have been stored in a drawer in a normal living room, no extremes of temperature or humidity.
Today I tried to program one of the last five units. A standard message was displayed that said the programmer was not plugged in, not switched on, etc. I used one of the first five devices and no problems; there was nothing wrong with the program I was loading or the hardware to program it.
I then tested all five of the previously unused devices with the same result.
The first five devices are fine but the last five are not recognized.
The programmer is the Pickaxe experimenters board for 08, 18 and 28 pin devices, the cable is a Picaxe USB to serial cable and the power supply is a 12vdc wall wart supplying the boards built-in 5v regulator.

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
PICAXE chips should not expire when left on the shelf. The best thing I can suggest is working through the download checklist, paricularly trying a Hard Reset - Power down and only power-up again when the download pp-up shows "Connecting to hardware..."

manuka

I've used countless PICAXEs,& have never experienced a "use by date" issue. Chips here from even 2002 still program & perform perfectly! How "clean" is your power supply? PICAXEs are very prone to noisy PSUs & motor hash etc. I'm a huge fan of 3 x AA batteries for prototypes, & recommend these as the first "workaround" when possible mains PSU issues arise. Stan

Last edited:

Tyro

When I first started, I used 'setfreq m8'. I also set the resonator frequency to 8MHz.

After 18 months I had forgotten this, so the program would not communicate properly with new devices. :rolleyes:

When I set the frequency to 4MHz there were no problems.

I can still program devices that are pre-programed to 'setfreq m8' with the resonator frequency set at 4MHz. What is the resonator frequency settings for?

Andrew Cowan

For when the PICAXE is running (I think).

When you first reset, connect power or perform a hard reset, the first thing the PICAXE does (before it increases the clock speed), is checks for a new download.

This should solve everything.

A