EEROM Verification Failed - only from a laptop (WIN XP) ?

guyba

Hi
I have been running various codes with my desktop computer (Windows 2000) and an old laptop of mine (win 98) and it was all good. I have been trying to run the same code on the same board with the same electronics and download cable with my new laptops (2 of them - that has xp installed) and I get the EEROM Verification Failed error.

I read in the forums that it might be a sloppy power supply so I replaced the power supply with 3 AA bataries (to achive 4.5V)and still got the same error when running the code via the new laptops.

So i"m in the dark now... anyone can help ?
Thanks
Guy

manuka

I once had similar with an IBM Thinkpad when running just on it's internal batteries. On mains it ran & programmed micros just fine. Hence are all laptops on mains power? There are diverse other tweaks, some related to XP, but clarify simple things first & specify the XP laptop brands etc. Have you checked the correct comm port at the editor ? Stan

guyba

Dear Stan
Thanks for your replay...

I did try to run them from the mains & of the battery - no luck.

the 2 laptops are - 1. a Toshiba satellite, running XP (service pack 2) and 2. An Acer travelmate running xp (service pack 2).

The strange thing is that a few month ago, whilst in the US I ran the picaxe successfully from the Acer laptop but here (I live in Australia) it doesn’t work for the 2 laptops (and as I mentioned it does work with a desktop - win 2000 - and an old laptop i have that runs on win 98)

it seems to me that it is not a power issue here rather something with the OS - Does it all make sense to anyone ?

Cheers
Guy

inglewoodpete

I remember that this topic has come up before (more than once). I think the problems can be borderline voltages on the serial port of the laptop.

The topic was discussed about 6? months ago. Try a search of the forums.

inglewoodpete

For some reason I have blocked from editting my last post. I wanted to add:

Try this forum topic for USB cable problems discussion:<A href='http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe/forum/Topic.asp?topic_id=5184&amp;forum_id=27&amp;Topic_Title=Problems%2Bdownloading%2Bto%2BPicaxe&amp;forum_title=No+new+posts+please%21+19' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>