Editor only shows 'COM1', axe027 listed under usb controllers, has no port number.

moorea21

Hi,
Reloaded Win7 and picaxe editor, etc onto new HD in same PC I've done all previous picaxe work on.
Followed instalation instructions, axe027_installer failed for unknown reason, so manually added drivers on all my usb ports (port numbers 3-6.)
Axe027 currently plugged into USB port with address '00000003'.
Looking for 'axe027' in device manager, I find it under 'usb controllers', but it has no COM port number. It tells me it has driver version 2.8.14.0 installed, and is 'working correctly.'
I've read other threads here similar to mine, like where westaust55 suggests:-

1. Select Options/Serial Port
2. If you see the AXE027 (or other) download cable select it
3. If do not see the AXE027 cable select the tick box "Show Port Help Tools..." then, click "Scan for USB cable" which will show you which port to select.

My editor has no "Show Port Help Tools..."

How do I get the editor to recognise the cable??

Thanks.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
so manually added drivers on all my usb ports (port numbers 3-6.)
I am not quite sure what that means. Hopefully it won't mean you have mis-configured your USB interfaces and confused Windows

Looking for 'axe027' in device manager, I find it under 'usb controllers', but it has no COM port number. It tells me it has driver version 2.8.14.0 installed, and is 'working correctly.'
It sounds like the AXE027 drivers have only been partially installed.

Installation of AXE027 drivers is a two-step process as described in the AXE027 installation guide. The AXE027 uses two drivers; firstly the USB interface drivers, then the virtual serial port driver which creates the COM port interface.

Are there any devices which have yellow exclamation triangles next to them in Device Manger?

moorea21

Yes, the axe027 has a yellow ! in a triangle, does that mean a driver is missing?
What I meant with the USB ports is that they have addresses 00000003, 4, 5 and 6.
This is the driver folder unzipped; I beleive that was where I directed windows to manually load the drivers. Referring to my attached jpeg, are these the USB interface drivers, or the virtual serial port drivers?drivers.jpg

moorea21

I've loaded that folder as the source for the USB port driver; it seems to have worked. I think if the pictures in the axe027 installation guide were readable instead of blurred, I could have more easily seen whether I was looking in the right place, but never mind! Got there now. Thanks hippy.